MPEG-4 out put question from FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 31st, 2009, 07:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

MPEG-4 out put question from FCP

Can’t figure this out—receive 2 QT movie (720x480, DV/DVCPRO-NTSC). They were long author interview which needed to be edited down to smaller clips and then given to my co-worker to put in to flash. The co-worker and I split up the movies (he is working in After Effects). I brought the move in to FCP did my edits and transitions to clips. I was ask to out put as MGEG-4 files.
I exported as a QT move, setting as custom, compressor MPEG-4 Video, 640x480, NTSC (4:3), editing timebase 29.97, Quality 75%. The co-worker used the same setting in AF.

When I open up the MPEG-4 finished files from FCP they looked fine, but when ever I move the the starting point of the movie to a different location in the movie it would take a couple of minutes to catch up before playing and then the sound was out of seek the video had strange art effects appearing. The out put from AE my co-worker did were fine, didn’t have these problems.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Ron
Ron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:01 PM   #2
New Boot

What is the file size? When I have exported in the past in large video files (1gb or higher) the video and audio were out of sync. And are you playing it in quicktime player?
Kelley Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

They are large files 60 megs, and I’m playing it in quicktime player.
Ron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Inner Circle

What version of FCP are you using?

There's:
Export to Quicktime
Export using Compressor
Export using Quicktime Conversion

Which did you use?

The thing about MPEG4 is that there are various ISMA profiles that affect the CODEC that is used. I've had sync problems in the past on long clips. Attached is a screen shot one of the Apple Presets from Compressor that you may want to try or at least start with (if you didn't already).

Also, if you mistakenly set it to add streaming information, you don't need that. It's for streaming server use.
Attached Thumbnails
MPEG-4 out put question from FCP-picture-1.png  
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Les,

I have version 5.1.4. I’m working with HD 1920x1080 files.
When I exported out of FCP i used, Quicktime movie, custom, MPEG-4

When I tried using compressor no matter what settings I used the rasheo was wrong and squeezed the image.

I’m now exporting, Quicktime movie, Apple intermediate codec 1080i60.
That seems to do the trick.

Thanks, Ron
Ron Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion