Safe to mix Fuji tapes with Panasonic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 28th, 2003, 02:44 PM   #1
Wrangler

Safe to mix Fuji tapes with Panasonic?

I think the answer is yes, but I just want to reconfirm:

I've always used Panasonic MiniDV tapes in my gear, but I've come into some Fujifilm "DVCassete" tapes. If I recall correctly, Fuji is the manufacturer for the Panasonic tape anyway (or is it vice versa?), and so mixing Fuji with Panasonic won't gunk up the heads of my camera/deck.

Is that right?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2003, 03:32 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Why would you presume that just because Fuji may manufacture tape for Panasonic, these tapes are the same?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Which Panasonic tape? It all depends is the answer, and there seems to be a lot of confusion over which ones are the same, dry/wet, etc. That's why I don't mess around, I use only the same brand and type, because that seems to be the only way to be 100% sure.

Even mixing tape types among the same manufacturer can cause problems, for example Panasonic MQs and PQs.
Sean R Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2003, 04:38 PM   #4
Wrangler

The Panasonics I've always used are AY-DVM60EJ ME tapes.

The new Fujis are DVM60A ME tapes.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2003, 07:09 PM   #5
Outer Circle

Robert. I don't know if mixing these will cause gumming/drop-outs. I never mix brands and types because I have seen problems first hand with doing this when I shot for people who have hired me with their cams and tapes. Also, most of the pros I know mostly use Fuji, but some use Pana, some use Sony. The ones that use Fuji say they've had the least amount of drop-outs with this tape. Another thing I've noticed over the years from cam boards is that people are always asking for help with describing a certain problem. Problem: gummed heads (they usually don't know this and just describe what they see---blocky footage etc); and when I ask what tape they are using, most of the time they reply with that they mixing tapes (with a list, of course). Sometimes people get gumming by just using a "cheap brand" of tape, like I did with JVC miniDV a number of years ago.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion