Cameras and Salt Water at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 28th, 2003, 09:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cameras and Salt Water

For those of you who live in BC and Northern Washington, you’ll have heard of Luna. The orphaned killer whale in Nootka Sound has been following boats, planes, and seeking attention at docks. DFO ( Department of Fisheries and Oceans ) is planning of reuniting Luna with the rest of his pod. So as usual the Vancouver Aquarium will be helping with the process.

I missed out last time when Springer was moved. So this time I have already volunteered to help cover the event. I have been given a five thousand dollar budget for equipment, and I already have a PD150. The footage will be given to Discouvery, and local media outlets.

I will have to conduct a couple of interviews, and I’m wondering if a wireless mic system would be under a thousand dollars ( CND ); receiver, transmitter, mic and all. If so, do most wireless mic systems use standard AAA or AA batteries?

My setup at this point without using any of my budget is my PD150, WD58H, ME66. I also have a PortaBrace rain cover, but am worried that it isn’t enough when work at sea for long periods of time.

One last question. Power. I have three NP-F960 batteries, which in the past have lasted me seven days of regular usage. However this time I maybe at sea for a month or more. Does anyone know of some sort of solar charger, or something similar.

I know this is a lot , but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old September 28th, 2003, 09:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

ive read good things about the sennheiser EW500ENG wireless setup, i think it runs it at just under a 1000 (us dollars)

why a solar charger? most boats have electrical outlets i believe

sorry i cant be of more help..
your project sounds super fun, hope you have a good time with it
Alan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2003, 09:59 PM   #3
Trustee

Neil, I'm sure the pros will chime in here with input, but if you're tight for money (or want to spend it on other things) then there is the baby version of the EW500 called the EW100. It has less preset channels, is unbalanced audio (For the short distance from mic to transmitter and receiver to cam) and I think has a hint less quality than the 500. Not sure really if any of these things would be a hassle for you but a lot of people (me included) use the Evolution 100's and find them more than good enough.

Cheers
Aaron
Old September 29th, 2003, 06:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

With regards to power Neil, if AC is not available it mentions in the manual about a Car battery 12V DC cable. This could be hooked up to a Solar panel or other suitable 12VDC source.

I'll second Aaron and Alans suggestion re the EW100's. I've got 2 112P's and they work fine with my PD150 and DSR-250.

Just be careful not to get condenser microphones wet or damp cause they stop working! Put a rugged dynamic mic in the kit just in case.

Cheers

Jon
Jon McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 09:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have a large marine battery in a plastic enclosure with a built in cigarette lighter. I use an inverter hooked into the cigarette lighter to get 120v ac. You could use a similar system to hook up your chargers.

This is a handy thing to have in remote locations. Of course it's limited to the capacity of the battery. Just test it before leaving.

I also concur with the EW100 wireless system. It works great with excellent clarity and reliability.
Old September 29th, 2003, 08:20 PM   #6
Wrangler

Neil, how about renting your wireless setup from Lorne Lapham?
Check em out at www.llsr.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion