Lens designation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 6th, 2002, 05:29 AM   #1
New Boot

Lens designation

Dear all,

I have a newbie question: On my camcorder (Panasonic MX300) lenses the following designation is engraved:

Leica Dicomar

43 mm, f=3.55 ~ 42.6 mm , 1:1.6

I assume that:
- Leica Dicomar is the manufacturer and the lens series, respectively.
- 43 mm is the (maximum) focal length (and these are "zoom" lenses ?)
- "f=3.55 ~ 42.6 mm" denominates the maximum aperture at the max. focal length (??)
- Third is the image magnification ratio (???!!)

I have a basic understanding of lens notions and terminology (focal length, aperture, depth of field, etc.) but i cannot find anywhere a description on lens designations i.e. how to decipher those engravings on different lenses. Pointers highly appreciated (the best one I could find so far on the web is the Cannon "EF lens 101" glossary).

Thanks in advance,

Florian
florian otel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2002, 11:11 AM   #2
Warden

Hi,

From what I can figure the lens is a variable apperature zoom lens. The apperature varies as you zoom from wide angle to telephoto. If I remember correctly it is a 12x optical zoom. That makes it a 3.55mm to 42.6mm lens. the apperature at 3.55mm is F1.6, it's largest or greatest light gathering apperature. The F number is a ratio. That's why a numerically small number is the largest opening of the lens. This ratio is expressed 1:1.6 The 43 I am guessing is the filter size of the lens (43mm).

I hope that helps

Jeff Donald
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2002, 01:43 AM   #3
New Boot

Another newbie lens question

Hi Jeff,

First, thanks a lot for the info. I really should have read the manual first, it would have spared me the embaressment of asking about focus lengths: they're written big and clear all over the specs and since the lens manufacutrer is Leica they sure do remind you every now and then about that :)

The initial reason for me asking was that I initially thought that lens designation is uniform/standard across lens vendors to give you a way to compare different lenses. AFAICT it varies quite a lot and each manufacturer have their own little variations in the way they designate lens.

On a related issue: I've seen a lens engraving (on a Nikkon SLR camera, don't remember the exact model, looked prosumer) designating the apperture as "1:3.5 (22) - 5.6". If I understand correctly 1:3.5 - 5.6 is the maximum apperture and within brackets is the min. apperture (i.e. f/22). What does intrigue me is why the min apperture is designated as a range (f/3.5 -- f/5.6). I've seen this designation also on some Cannon EF lenses, with the max aperture engraved as "1:4 - 5.6".

Thanks once again,

Florian
Old April 9th, 2002, 01:50 AM   #4
New Boot

Typos

Sorry for the typos and missing commas, I've posted the msg w/o any preview. Obviosuly I ment "Nikon SLR camera" and "Canon EF lens" :-)
Old April 9th, 2002, 07:44 PM   #5
Warden

many of the newer lenses are varying the ninimum aperature also. So, at 70mm it might be F22 , but at 300m it is F29. it si easier to design lense with variable min and max aperatures so it cost less to build them.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion