Vx2000 or XL1 again... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 14th, 2002, 11:27 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

The trick to using Frame Movie mode is to keep your camera movements to a minimum... slow careful pans, etc.

Regarding a film look, you won't get this from any certain shutter speed but rather in how you choose to light your subject.

Joe Redifer and I like to debate this particular topic... my viewpoint is only one opinion... but I believe a film look is all in the lighting and also filtering.

I think you should start with concentarting on basic framing and carefully composing your shots; ultimately the content and the way you present it is far more inportant than making it "look like film." Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2002, 04:11 PM   #17
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

"I have finally bought the XL1s :) "
"I tried out the frame movie mode. The video produced is kind of jerky/blur. I am not sure how to describe it. The movement is not that fluid i think. "

24fps is more "jerky" ... 60i ( normal video ) is much smoother .. the 30fps frame mode is in-between ....

I"s this what it's suppose to do? Or have i done something wrong? "

that's the way it is !

"Which is the best shutter speed to shoot on to achieve a more filmy look?"

IMO 1/60 th of second ... for special FX use higher IE: you are moving with subject in foreground and you want background to be JERKY ( stacatto) then use 1/1000

"Need some advice as to what to adjust to make the video the best looks. "

IMO it's the LIGHTING .. look over at the production stills at
www.rocketchicken.com the movie was shot with XL in 16x9 mode ( shot by DP that shot "the sixth day") ..each shot was lit.
they tshot this movie as if they were shooting FILM ...

IMO use frame mode , 1/60 shutter, light each shot ( if you move the camera - then you re-light for the new framimg ) , do NOT zoom during shot, use your zebras to get best results ........
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2002, 04:01 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks guys.

I am new to DV, and definitely new to xl1s.
I got a couple of more questions but i'll ask them bit by bit :)
Do not want to get too confuse with too many infos.

1) When i put the video mode in 16 x 9 mode, how do i make the black bars appear? When i transferred the video to computer, the black bar is not there. So what does that mode do?

2) I did a short film with my friend's camera a couple of weeks ago. Everything is fine, but when i convert the video format to vcd mpg format, the video quality has been adversely affected. I need to transfer the video to vcd format so that my friends can watch them on tv, so how do I prevent the video from the adverse effect?

thanks for helping !
Michael Chen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion