Data Recovery Problem - HELP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 12th, 2003, 06:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Data Recovery Problem - HELP!

HELP!! A project that I had been editing on my PC seems to be unretrievable because my hard drive has seemingly died. My husband has tried everything to move the files onto another hard drive with no luck. Does anyone know of any data recovery services that are reasonably priced??

Thanks
Jean King
Jean King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2003, 07:46 AM   #2
Wrangler

We sent a drive with hardware failure to drivesavers a year or two back. They recovered nearly everything from it. However this was only a 4 GB drive that was half full from an office computer. The charge is based on how much data they recover, and in this case it was a couple hundred bucks IIRC for maybe 2 GB of data. So I don't know how practical this is for recovery of the large amounts of data used in video editing. But it's worth giving them a call and getting an estimate, they were a pleasure to work with.

But I would only go this route if you're sure its a hardware failure. Have you tried using several utility programs on the drive? It would certainly be cheaper to buy a couple of these than it would be to send the drive out.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2003, 07:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

For that matter you might try some of the freeware programs that search hard drives(if your hard drive is still running).Some of the sites you may find such programs at are:

http://www.webgrid.co.uk/
http://www.pricelessware.org/
http://freewarearena.org/PHPNuke/index.php
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #4
New Boot

Try Restorer2000 Professional - www.restorer2000.com -

There's a free demo , $50 to buy.

It saved my a** last week.
Hans Nyberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion