DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Im a noob that needs a camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/15735-im-noob-needs-camera.html)

John Gaspain October 13th, 2003 09:12 PM

Im a noob that needs a camera

Hi!

Im planning on doing some Snowboarding films and Mountain biking films.

My question is: What camera should I get?

I need a versatile camera that can handle the bright snow and night skiing under halogen lamps, as well as dark woods on MTB trails. I would like to do some slow-mo, maybe with 30p then slow it in post? Oh yea, also need a composite video in for a helmet cam. OH and a fisheye lens!

Also I dont want it to be expensive, cuz its might get beat up- $600-$1200? Im a cheap bastard ;)

I plan on using Avid or Premiere for post.

I am a total noob here and have NO experience in DV, I have been looking around the site for a couple days and love the board you guys have here.

A vx2000 would be great but I dont want to drop the paper if ya know what I mean

Any help?

Frank Granovski October 13th, 2003 09:23 PM

That's asking for a lot.

I don't know of any newer consumer cams with have a slow motion feature.

Low light? Ugh. Low light cams haven't been invented yet. :)

Now go and buy yourself a new Canon Optura Xi. :)

John Gaspain October 13th, 2003 09:30 PM

could I do slow mo on the PC, like in Premier?

The Xi looks Neet!

Oh hey I just noticed you are from BC, IM in WA and was gonna do some footage at Whistler!

Dylan Couper October 13th, 2003 10:15 PM

Yes you can do slo-mo in Premiere.

I'd suggest a Canon GL1. You can get a used one for around $1200. It's a pretty nice camera. Won't leave you any change for accessories, or lift tickets.

I'm thinking of doing a snowboarding video this winter at Whistler, but since last season sucked so bad, I'll probably jsut get in as much riding as I can.

Shawn Mielke October 14th, 2003 12:22 AM

Small good cams:

Optura Xi - $1000+
Pana dv953 - $1200
Pana gs100k - $1300, Japanese import

It's too bad you don't have enough for a GL2, $2000. Somehow, you remind me of the GL2. A used GL1 works too.

Actually,the 953 fits your bill the best, I would say. An ultimate fun-in-sun cam, with, I believe, frame mode, which is to say, progressive wanna be. For sure. Read up and find out about shooting video for slow motion; I think it's generally advised to shoot in normal interlaced video.

Shawn Mielke October 14th, 2003 12:32 AM

John,

A guy posted a Sony trv900 as For Sale yesterday in the classified forum here. I don't know any real details about this cam, only that it's a much praised, slightly older Sony cam. I'm sure someone else can tell you more.
Regards,
Shawn

John Gaspain October 14th, 2003 03:03 AM

Thanks for the replies so far, the Panasonic PV-DV953 looks like a hell of a deal $1053 for a 3 ccd camera, have you guys used one of these yet? Almost seems to good to be true!...thing even has a Leica Lens!

I wonder what some footage looks like from that camera

Frank Granovski October 14th, 2003 03:07 AM

John. It looks very good, unless you shoot in the dork, er dark. But go try the Optura Xi also, before you lay down your cash. "Also I dont want it to be expensive, cuz its might get beat up- $600-$1200? Im a cheap bastard."

Pick your poisen
PV-DV953 - for shooting fine deep shadows and dork blacks.
Optura Xi - for capturing that color in them cheeks.

PV-DV953 - 3 chip
Optura Xi - 1 chip

Don't ask me which one I would pick, but probably the PV-DV953, unless the Xi is cheaper---"cuz Im a cheap b_stard." But look at Pokey, he's saving for a PV-DV953 (MX5000). See Pokey here: http://www.dvfreak.com/mx5000ad.jpg

John Gaspain October 14th, 2003 10:47 PM

OK it looks like I am going to place an order with Profeel.com for the PV-DV953 $1,083.90 shipped.

Any objections?

Glenn Chan October 14th, 2003 11:10 PM

If might help if you check out resellerratings first: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1757.html

I (un)fortunately have no experience doing business with them so I don't know how good they are.

John Gaspain October 14th, 2003 11:23 PM

Good call Glenn,

OK I found a better deal: $1,011.95 shipped from Buydig.com

Good?

Shawn Mielke October 14th, 2003 11:23 PM

I think you should go for it. I would only reiterate something that Frank said, that it isn't the greatest cam in really low light. But if this is action shooting at night with halogen lights, you shouldn't have a problem getting interesting stuff. Otherwise you are sure to turn out excellent footage mornings, days, and afternoons, and will have to fiddle a bit more for the evenings. The 953 has a wealth of controls (for a consumer cam) that will enable acceptable results whatever the conditions. Seriously, though, do a search on the 953 here, you're going to find out all sorts of things about this cam as you gain hands on experience. For it's size, the image quality, and the money, this is a great way to go for what you're doing. Enjoy!
Regards,
Shawn

Shawn Mielke October 15th, 2003 12:37 AM

Trot over to Camcorderinfo.com, John. Their dv953 forum has some great new cam owner friendly threads, advice, happy thoughts, etc. Plenty of people seem very satisfied with the 953 in lower light, after a little experimentation.

Bryan Beasleigh October 15th, 2003 02:56 AM

I wouldn't buy anything I hadn't tried. A camera is a very personal choice. What's impressive to one person may not be to another.

I went on a tear with a blank tape and tried evry camera that tweaked my fancy. I spent a month vascilating between a VX2K. PD150, a TRV900 and an XL1S.

When i bough my camera , I knew exactly why i wanted it.

Frank Granovski October 15th, 2003 03:11 AM

And buying the TRV900 was a mistake, then? :):)