Best 1-CCD cam (optically) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 17th, 2003, 11:53 AM   #1
Trustee

Best 1-CCD cam (optically)

Hey guys,

2 simple questions: What's considered the best single chip camcorder on the current market- video quality wise? I recall something about the Canon Opturas but heard they've lost some features such as progressive scan wich made them such fabulous single chippers.

Q2: What single chipper has the best optical zoom? I've seen the Canon ZR70 at 22X optical but how good is the video quality- i'm hoping for 520 lines+

Thanks guys.
Old October 17th, 2003, 03:39 PM   #2
Outer Circle

The best new 1 chip? In my opinion that would be the Optura Xi.

I doubt the ZR70 plays back that many lines. I've seen as much as 26X zoom on some 1 chip cams; not sure if any new models have this.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #3
Warden

I agree with Frank, probably the new Optura. Boy, I loved by old Optura Pi. Best one chip I ever owned.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have the PC100 Sony cam. I know its older but when it came out it was rated as good or better than some early 3CCD cameras and sits up there near the top of the 1CCD cams. Its older than the Xi for sure but its a lot smaller if that could be a selling point. You cang et them for around $400-$600 on eBay.
Tim Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 04:50 PM   #5
Trustee

I don't think you'd go wrong with the top of the line Sony, Pany or Canon single chip. By top of the line i mean the best basic package, a lot of times sony likes to bundle a whole lot of useless gizmos. Pick the camera with all the best points but without the useless window dressing.

Narrow your choice then go out and do a hands on comparison yourself. DO NOT BUY ON SOMEONE ELSES RECOMEDATION.

I'd also stay away from a used consumer camera, at any price, unless you know and trust the owner.

JMO
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 04:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

When I purchased mine on eBay, I purchased it from somebody who had been on eBay awhile with great feedback, I went by their word and I've been fine ever since. There's nothing wrong with going off of other's reccomendations and if he's looking for the one with good picture, optics, etc then the goodies in the package won't be what's giving him that.
Old October 18th, 2003, 05:55 PM   #7
Outer Circle

The first main question was:

"What's considered the best single chip camcorder on the current market - video quality wise?"

Note: best single chip on the current market, and not a used older model via e-bay.

The second main question concerns optical zoom and 520+ lines. I believe the Xi's playback resolution is at least 520 lines. Regarding zoom, you can't have your cake and eat it too. :)
Old October 18th, 2003, 06:22 PM   #8
Trustee

For every trusting soul that's elated by their ebay used treasure there are horror stories. My advice is don't buy used DV gear unless you know and trust the seller. That just my opinion .

I personally wouldn't waste my time or money. I'd rather buy new and from a retailer/etailer with a rock solid reputation. that doesn't mean the Ebay rating system either. That can easily be manipulated.

Listen to Frank, he makes the rounds of the camera stores and tries all of the equipment. He fully researches the various models using a network of dealers and friends. Whenever possible he will borrow and review the camera. Try his site www.dvfreak.com , it's loaded with links and suggestions.

There are quite a few members of this and a few other forums that are constantly in touch and comparing notes. This helps us help others.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 06:43 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Yes, for something expensive I would, however just my two cents, you have to be very experienced in what to look for when you're buying things on ebay. Not just the rating but how they list their auction, how they describe it, starting price, other items sold on eBay, etc etc etc. I know a lot more tricks of the trade than the average eBayer I'd say which as kept me out of trouble me entire eBay career. I did buy a PC9 before my PC100 and it ate tapes however I did check out my seller before buying and he gladly accepted the return and refunded me the money as he tried it when he got back and reported the same problem.
Old October 18th, 2003, 07:57 PM   #10
Outer Circle

Tim, for what it's worth, I recently bought a lens off of e-bay. The guy had over 300 sales, 99+% positive. Guess what? I had to send the lens back to him because it had a loose lens element, plus his packaging was that of a child who stumbled on a crummy chewed-up paper-like box out of a nearby garbage bin. We'll see how long---or if---I'll get my money back. But I'm not too worried, because the lens was not an expensive item. My point is simply that going with e-bay is always a risky, because you could end up dealing with a yo-yo or a crook. You just never know. (That's why for my e-bay purchases, I try to keep these prizes under $100 US.)

Regarding the PC100, it was a good cam for its day, but it was not the best cam for its day.
Old October 19th, 2003, 12:09 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

FWIW, the ZR70 has an excellent optical zoom spec -- 22x -- however I would not say it produces the best video quality among the one-chip camcorders. It's strictly a "value shopper" product, that is, among the least expensive. High bang-for-buck ratio, but not the best video.

And I must echo Bryan's advice, on these little one-chip cams, it's *always* best to buy new. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #12
Trustee

As a generality, Canon 1 CCDs have the sharpest picture, but in indoor lighting, have the worst grain -- by far. It's almost to the point of appearing as a grain "special effect". They pick up the color alright, but the grain's a killer.
As far as ebay, I've had multiple instances of bad luck. For example, the last cam I bought from there, advertised as "perfect condition", had a few hot/dead pixels upon arrival. Now, I paid primo denero for this cam because it was "perfect".
Do you know how much it costs to to repair that pixel problem?
Around $400. That's just one example. I've had many problems with ebay transactions.
The problem with ebay is ... you pay your hard-earned money, the package arives and it is junk (and not at all like described) and you have no recourse. Know what you do when you realize you've been scammed? Throw the junk in the trash and start writing out the check to your credit card company ... And tell everybody who will listen about the wonderful ebay "deals" you've gotten. Better off to buy new! "Welcome to the jungle, we got fun and games ..."
Dave Largent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion