Panasonic pv-dv953 vs. Canon Xi - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 21st, 2003, 04:34 AM   #16
Regular Crew

OK, got you. :-)
BTW, MX300 was known as a fine cam and IN fact I was considering such (or MX350) just prior to maiking my mind for GS100. Perhaps if I cuold be able to located MX300 or MX350 (PAL versions fo either) for reasonable pricing prior to making final decision for GS100 I would go with MX300/350.

Moreover, my best bet would be even MX8 if the one could still be located for reasoanble money and covered by Pana warranty. In fact I was able to figure such in Russia by internet and it was available in Moscow, but in excess of 1300 US$. For this money range I still think GS100 was and still prsent unbeatable choice.

Alex
Alex Zabrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 08:54 PM   #17
Major Player

This Xi is listed at under $1200 at Adorama.com and B&H says contact them for their special price (they can't list it on the web site because they're an authorized dealer for Canon, I think). Interesting how fast the msrp has been undercut to the under $1500 range. I hope it bodes well for the next round of camcorders - maybe the ones with the cup holders discussed in another thread.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:20 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I always wondered why there were no 3-CCD digital cameras.

When I bought a Nikon D1, I was impressed, but the color was not steller. When I sold it and got a Canon 10D, I was shocked! How could a single chip be this amazing? Canon completely crushed everyone with their CMOS sensor (people thought CMOS would never have good quality).

Anyway, I saw some Xi stills on the web and the color had the same look as my 10D SLR -- the only difference was the somewhat lower resolution. The stills were vastly better than the 953 for two reasons:

1. The 953 has just 0.8 MP resolution and they upsample it 4 to 1. I had to shrink the 953 images down to 1000x750 in order for the artifacts to go away.

2. The 953 had a lack of depth and clarity and the images were very oil painting like.

Compare them yourself:

http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/canon/optura_xi-review/index.shtml

http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/panasonic/pv_dv953-review/index.shtml

Now I have not used these cameras, but I assume that whatever made the Xi have much better still quality will result in it also having better video quality.
Robert Silvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:49 AM   #19
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Patricia Kim : This Xi is listed at under $1200 at Adorama.com and B&H says contact them for their special price (they can't list it on the web site because they're an authorized dealer for Canon, I think).-->>>

You don't need to contact them. You just need to click on some link. They sell it for $1130 now with free shipping.
Robert Silvers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion