DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Airport tips? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/16098-airport-tips.html)

Alan Tran October 22nd, 2003 10:56 AM

Airport tips?

If I'm traveling, is there anything I should be aware of? As far as carrying my camera and tapes?

Will the airport x-ray machine affect my mini-dv tapes at all?

thanks

Jeff Donald October 22nd, 2003 11:07 AM

Do a search. X-rays have been covered in great detail, even by an FAA employee. No they do not harm magnetic recording material or cameras.

Mark Newhouse October 22nd, 2003 01:54 PM

I recently travelled with my GL2 and a ZR60, along with several tapes. No problems.

I kept them with me at all times, and was quite paranoid about them going through the x-ray machine while I was going through the metal detector. I did everything I could to make sure I didn't set anything (or anyone) off and have to get searched. That is the easiest time for someone to steal your equipment.

If you are traveling with someone, have them watch your bags as you go through the detectors.

Dylan Couper October 23rd, 2003 01:58 AM

Keep all your tapes and cameras in your carry on baggage. Never put that in checked baggage, as those bags get beaten on hard.
Airport staff will still tell you not to put your film in checked baggage as they use larger Xray machines for that luggage, and it will mess up film. The small X-rays they use for carry on stuff will NOT harm film. I've carried enough through in the last year, and never had it affected.

David Hurdon October 23rd, 2003 07:06 AM

I noticed a change in procedure flying here in Canada last week versus previous travel. This time instead of pulling my cameras out to demonstrate that they worked, security took swabs from the open bags. When they didn't set off any alarms that was that. Much appreciated versus their fumbling their way through everything neatly packed away. They did manage to tear the diffusion material on my on-camera light, but unless you're a fan of cavity searches sucking it up is a good idea.

David Hurdon

Jeff Donald October 23rd, 2003 07:27 AM

The swab test is for explosives.

Dylan Couper October 23rd, 2003 09:22 AM

The swab test is a Godsend....
Last time I flew to the US, I had 2 disassembled Canon XL1's, an EOS SLR, a ZR40, and a little Digital Elph. Plus a PDA and an MD player. It would have taken 15 minutes just to get everything unpacked, assembled, and turned on to demonstrate they work, like they used to make you do. Then another 10 minutes to repack everything so it fit back into my carry on bag.

Zac Stein October 23rd, 2003 09:38 AM

I find it amazing that they check all this stuff so strictly, yet a man managed to air freight himself across the country is a crate because it was cheaper and nobody found him!!!!

Zac

Victor Panero October 23rd, 2003 11:02 AM

annoying templates on the x-ray machines

Some airports have those annoying templates on the x-ray machines for carry-on luggage. If your camera case won't fit (as my xl1 doesn't --barely) they'll force to check it in---but I have found if you check all the terminals, usually there is one that doesn't have the template and will slide your camera case --through no questions asked. Usually your airline cust. serv. rep. will know were it its and tell you if you ask.

Michel Brewer October 25th, 2003 02:17 PM

smaller airports seem worse

at least during my past couple trips, the smaller the airport the longer it took to go through my stuff...havent had a problem with tapes as noted above. I dont know if they see cameras more often at big airports but I averaged it out the smaller airports were taking me 10-15 minutes longer...the other problem with smaller airports is the commuter jets .
Be prepared to put your portabrace in last minute check in at the door of the plane; and fly with the camera in your lap or between legs on the floor there is no way its going in the overhead.
And if you have a connection thats going on a smaller plane any other essential gear should be in a small bag from the start, that will fit so you can pack "Very Carefully" the other items which TSA will unwrap at baggage check in :)

m

Don Berube October 25th, 2003 10:31 PM

If you are travelling with an expensive tripod, make sure you put it in a hard tube case or at least pack it well in a strong box. The soft cases that come with many tripods aren't enough... a couple of trips ago coming back from texas, Delta killed my tripod. The head was split in two! I don't know what exactly happened to it mid-flight, but something huge and heaavy fell on it... They settled for a mere $200, but I was able to keep the legs and the pan-handles.

Better yet, ship your gear prior to your trip via Fed Ex or UPS Priority - this is the safest way. And, better safe than sorry.

- don

Bryan Beasleigh October 25th, 2003 11:13 PM

I'm a frequent flyer and rarely encounter problems.

There are no set procedures in Canadian airports. It depends on the crew that's on and their interpretation of the rules. Things are more professional since all of the security went under federal control.

I carry a roll on with a CPAP machine, a camera and sometimes some test equipment. I also carry my VX2k in a portabrace.

Nometimes they just do the swab test (explosives residue) and sometimes they get nosey. So long as you smile and co operate there's no problem on either side of the border.

I've never had a film cloud or a tape have problems and I've been a gold or Platinum flyer for the past 25 years. (Gold is 35000 actual miles flown and platinum is 100,000 miles)

I carry all of the breakable stuff on and pack everything else in checked baggage. Small commuter flights and small aircraft have limited overhead space. If you ask the baggage attendant at the skycheck cart they will take special care(they aren't all bad). The sky checked baggage is placed in the cargo hold by hand and secured with a net. I'll carry my camera before i'll check it and no one has argued yet. They see what it is and try to help.

It certainly does help to have a frequent flier baggage tage on your stuff.

Oh, and so far as the bag templates , so long as you don't come in loaded like a pack mule i've never been challanged. The Portabrace is just a little larger than the bussiness bag and my roll on is a about 3 pounds overweight.

Alan Tran October 26th, 2003 01:24 AM

do you carry your portabrace outside or just stick it in one of your bags?

Michel Brewer October 26th, 2003 01:31 AM

portabrace

Alan:

If its a small plane(regional jet) just hand it over at the ramp for late check in and they hand it back as you get off, larger planes it fits in overhead just fine.
Best tip so far was Brians keep smiling and be nice and they will try to help, and carry your camera on board. FYI Im usually carrying a xl1 so gives you size of camera idea..

M

Alan Tran October 26th, 2003 01:35 AM

im going on the road in late november and ill be bringing my powerbook and my gl2

i have a laptop bag, and a canon soft bag, and i figured i could just put those in my oakley "duffel" type bag along with my clothes. and bringing it on board anything inherently wrong with this?