Getting Started! Need your input at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Getting Started! Need your input

I plan on getting started in the DV realm and want to make sure I have all the *basic* purchases covered before I start:

1. Camera - dvx100
2. External Mic - Senheisser ME66
3. Tripod - Bogen 3011BN legs and a 3433 (501)
4. Lighting kit (probably going to rent this one)
5. Firewire/USB expansion card (my computer has no firewire port...not sure which one to get though)
6. NLE - I have access to vegas, avid, premiere and after effects
7. DVD burner

This list does not include minor accessories I will aquire later on such as a case, tapes, filters, etc. These are only the very basic items i believe i need to get started without burning through too much cash. Please give me any input on anything else I might need to get started, or if something on the list can be better. Thanks!
Dan Lahav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Get an extra disk drive and an additional battery, since those included with cameras are often kinda small. You may want a lapel mic and possibly a wireless microphone kit.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:19 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Get a firewire card- USB is no good for capturing video. A FW card is $30 or less from newegg.com. If you want to go cheaper then check prices on pricewatch.com.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Chan : Get a firewire card- USB is no good for capturing video. A FW card is $30 or less from newegg.com. If you want to go cheaper then check prices on pricewatch.com. -->>>

Hey Glen- Actually it's a 2xUSB/ 2x Firewire card in one. I need the extra USB slots as well :)

PS> do you think an AMD 1.4ghz Athlon w/ 512 RAM will hold up ok for now as far as video editing?
Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Getting Started! Need your input

I plan on getting started in the DV realm and want to make sure I have all the *basic* purchases covered before I start:

1. Camera - DVX100
2. External Mic - Senheisser ME66
3. Tripod - Bogen 3011BN legs and a 3433 (501)
4. Lighting kit (probably going to rent this one)
5. Firewire+USB expansion card-in-one (my computer has no firewire ports...not sure which one to get though)
6. NLE - I have access to vegas, avid, premiere and after effects
7. DVD burner
8. possible upgrade from my AMD 1.4ghz Athlon w/ 512 RAM to P4 3GHZ w/ 1Gig RAM (id prefer not to do this unless you guys think it's *really* necessary)

This list does not include minor accessories I will aquire later on such as a case, tapes, filters, etc. These are only the very basic items i believe i need to get started without burning through too much cash. Please give me any input on anything else I might need (ie anything I shouldnt live without) to get started, or if something on the list can be better. Thanks!
Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:46 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Which Athlon is that? Not the Opteron right?

The processor might be a little slow depending on what you do and which NLE you use. Try it out for a bit and see if you need to upgrade. I see you have lots of "backups" of software... testing wouldn't be a problem I guess.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:49 AM   #7
Wrangler

You'll need something to mount your ME66 on the camera, or a boom setup. Plus a windscreen for it. Add a few hundred bucks, minimum, either way.
However, microphones are a great thing to rent, since you may not always use it, depending on what you are doing.
Renting the light kit is smart too.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 10:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : You'll need something to mount your ME66 on the camera, or a boom setup. Plus a windscreen for it. Add a few hundred bucks, minimum, either way.
However, microphones are a great thing to rent, since you may not always use it, depending on what you are doing.
Renting the light kit is smart too. -->>>

what part(s) are these specifically?
Old October 23rd, 2003, 10:30 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I would absolutely recommend you buy a UV filter either before or at the same time as your camera so you can put it on the second you take the camera out of the box.
Sean R Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 02:23 PM   #10
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Lahav : <<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : You'll need something to mount your ME66 on the camera, or a boom setup. Plus a windscreen for it. Add a few hundred bucks, minimum, either way.
Renting the light kit is smart too. -->>>

what part(s) are these specifically? -->>>

Check out this link.
Zotzs Digital's Lightwave section
Lighwave makes good equipment, and will cover the basics of what you need from on camera mounts to booms. Zotz Digital is a very trustworthy seller, and one of the forum's sponsors as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion