Video Art anyone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 24th, 2003, 10:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Video Art anyone?

Any one here using DV to make VideoArt or Video Experimentation?

I´m not sure what would be the right name in english (or spanish) so I´ll clarify the concept.

Video Art, meaning using Video as non fiction, but non documentary either. Also actual videoclips of songs wouldn´t count either. Recorder Vj sessions?... maybe.. but not quite there.

You know.. weird "artistic" things. Taking video imagery beyond storytelling and documentary.

Anyone, knows where could I find some of these (on the net)?
Old October 24th, 2003, 11:57 AM   #2
Air China Pilot

You can find some of these if you search for

Presentation Art

Art Installation

That's what they are usually called in English.

I am really interested in these also so if you find any good links please share.
Old October 24th, 2003, 07:05 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hola Federico,

One thing that's getting popular now are "flash mobs"...are these common in Spain yet? It's groups of people who don't know each other who are notified without warning by e-mail to meet at a certain place at a certain time to do some wild performance art stunt. They all swarm on the place, do their thing, and then vanish.

If you can get on one of their mailing lists, and keep your batteries charged and gas in your tank, you'll have lots of performance art opportunities.

Keith...here's one I found that's going down in Vancouver today!
Quote:
Category: Fun
Date/Time: Sat, Oct 25, 2003, 04:15:00 PM
Place: S.E. corner of Georgia & Granville
Organizer (reputation): Tartan1 (70)

On Saturday at noon,set your watch at "www.time.gov".At 4:15 line up single file behind the man in the yellow hat.Stare at your watch for a moment.Ask person in front of you "how are the dogs?"At 4:20 turn to face The Bay,start clapping.Disperse when man in the yellow hat walks behind you.
Old October 24th, 2003, 07:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Never heard of those "mobs" around here, but I do not know many people here yet.. at least not the kind that will do that kind of thing...
But I guess that if they are not doing it right now.. they soon will, Barcelona is a very active artisticly avant-gard kind of city.

Sounds interesting to be around and shoot.
Yes, I allways have my batteries charged, and no, no gas, no tank, no car. Not that I really need one in this city anyway.

Still, I guess that this shooting will be more on the documentary side... (depending on what editing will be done).

Thanx for sharing...

And I have a friend in Vancouver that I´m pretty sure will be doing that mob stuff.. I think I´ll ask her...
Old October 24th, 2003, 09:56 PM   #5
ChorizoSmells

Federico,
I've done some playing around with video, I saw some video by a group called EBN, Emergency Broadcast Network, a group of video artists who sample video/movies and create musical loops using the video/music's sound, it's pretty cool, it makes a visual collage that goes with the music. I thought I give it a try also but unlike them, I shoot all my own footage, sampling other people's footage is too easy and very common among the VJ's here is Osaka. I have yet to see a good VJ at a club here.

here is a sample of my experimental video:
www.dr-ricardo-sanchez.com/TamaShoes.html

I've been wanting to do a video exhibition, I have some stuff edited but I still need to shoot more. It would probably be some experimental stuff like on the link above and some fashion, fetish video, but I'm getting back into taking digital stills so I'd like to include some stills, I sent John some samples so he knows what kind of video/photo exhibit it will be.

another video I did for fun, I projected some video of fire unto my friend's body, she was wrapped in a white sheet so the fire comes out clearly and she would open the sheet every now and then and have the fire on her body. I can send you a short clip of it if you want, can you handle a 5mb file on your email server?

My wife and went to Barcelona last year, too bad I didn't know of you then. I miss having a lomo con queso y un cortado. We went to a very cool bar, Padam, Padam, some friends did an exhibit there several years ago.

I'll see if I can post the video on the net.
Old October 25th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #6
Major Player

Rik,
Yeah, that´s what I was talking about...

I´ve done a few experiments myself for an experimental design-graffity-art-video-photo site me and some friends are putting together. And I´ll put them on the web when the site is done.

This is just in preproduction phase.. but maybe if we get good hosting space and transfer we can accomodate an "outsider-friends" section in the site and host one of your videos.

But we will burn that bridge when we get there.

About the other video you can mail it to me to this e-mail:
***webmaster*@*marxa.com***

of course the * are to be removed.
Old October 25th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #7
ChorizoSmells

Federico,
I sent you the video file, let me know if you get it okay.
Old October 26th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #8
Tourist

I am a student of video art at Syracuse University in upstate New York. I think a better definition of video art woul simply be the use of video as a medium for contemporary art. Video art is something you see in galleries and museums, not on TV. Unfortunately, there are few resources on the web for video art. Check out post-videoart.com and also check out this link too see some work of professors and students from my school. http://ams.syr.edu/
Mike Hession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 06:13 PM   #9
Major Player

Rik, got your video... Cool!

Mike... thanks for the links. That´s what I wanted to see.
When I get a new link.. I´ll post here to share..
Old October 27th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I do some video art for my Film class at YorkU.
I am currently working on a project due by jan 5th.
Andrei Petrik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion