DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Need Help With Equipment Setup for a Concert. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/16312-need-help-equipment-setup-concert.html)

Andrei Petrik October 27th, 2003 04:30 PM

Need Help With Equipment Setup for a Concert.

Hey,
I put on concerts on weekends on weekly basis.
I used to video tape a band's performance using Canon XL1s with a MA-100 audio input using left and right channels mixed live off the board. Then I took the footage home and made a nice DVD for the band.

HERE'S WHERE I NEED HELP.

I'd like to produce a DVD for the band, for them to be ready to be picked up about 1 hour after their set on the same night of performance.

I am planning on using 3 camera's (max) to make a pro looking live video for amatuer bands.
1 camera = stationary on tripod having a full view of the stage and the other cameras are roaming on stage.
And I know I'll need a video mixer and some monitors... this as far as i know about this kinda setup.

What do i need to have in terms of equipment and what would i have to do to have a band walk away that same night with a live video on DVD disc ( only video, no fancy titles, manues, etc.)?
Also, the sound would have to be mixed through the club audio mixer. And what would the layout run and look like?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Mike Rehmus October 27th, 2003 07:45 PM

If you do all the switching in realtime . . . video, audio, titles and grapics, you can feed a DVD recorder so that when the concert is over, the DVD is done.

Second-best choice would be an editing system that accepted video and converted it to MPEG2 in realtime. Canopus, for example, makes such a system.

However, at max burn speed you will have only 40 minutes to finish the edit and start burning the DVD with a computer burner. It will take 15 minutes to burn at 4X speed.

For switching the program material, I'd look at the Toaster. It can handle up to 24 composite video inputs, requires no TBC or external sync for the cameras and can mix the show down to the final cut in realtime. You get to make the decisions and operate the system (or your Technical Director.

Figure about $10,000 for a turn-key Toaster system. Maybe a bit more. DVD burners (standalone) figure $1000 or less. Are the roaming cameras going to be wired or wireless. Big difference in cost, obviously.

Basically you need a broadcast studio set up for live-to-tape. Cameras, switcher of some sort. Audio feed (if someone else is going to run the board then you don't need a board operator. Store directly to HD and feed out to the DVD recorder.

If you are going to use existing cameras, then that's the lot. If you want to do this 'right', you will want studio cameras that have CCU's back in the control room so you can manage the camera iris. Either way you can run wired or wireless. Wireless is quite expensive. Probably at least $5,000 per camera for reliable equipment.

Consider using industrial cameras in fixed remote controlled pan and tilt mounts with one overhead. You would need someone to operate them but it may be a lot less expensive that paying for competent camera operators.

Andrei Petrik October 27th, 2003 10:09 PM

Ya, i'm definetely hoping to go wireless.

I am experinced with filiming live concerts, but this would be a first time trying some of this magnitude.

Every instrument on stage is mic and goes through club mixer. Then I'd have right channel and left channel run into whatever can sync the audio and video in realtime.