Super8 movie film to MiniDV conversion ??'s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 28th, 2003, 04:15 PM   #1
Tourist

Super8 movie film to MiniDV conversion ??'s

To those in the group.

I just purchased a DCR-PC101 and I want to transfer old Super8 film movies to DV.

Can I just set up my movie screen, set up the camera, and then shoot the projected film -- or is the difference in frame rates between the projector and the DV camera going to mess things up.

Any help or experience would be great.

John.
John Sturr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 04:57 PM   #2
Contributor

You can do it, but you'll get a flicker. You might try adjusting your shutter speed to see if you can minimize it. It won't go away, but it may not be too bad.
I've done this by using a piece of whate matte board instead of a beaded movie screen. That way you don't seen the "grain" of the screen. Also, move the camera back as far away behind the projector as you can and still fill the frame with the projected image. Before you thread the film onto the projector, turn it on and white balance off the projected light, or use your preset tungsten position. Make sure you turn off all the auto stuff in the camera. You'll have to run a part of the film at first to set your exposure.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion