old equipment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 16th, 2002, 10:07 AM   #1
Major Player

old equipment

I was looking through my old video equipment from the 80's a found some mics and a wireless mic made by Azden. Also a Sunpak video light. I charged it up and after 10 years it still works. It's kind of bright!! Just wondering if anyone knows if you can buy something that will soften the light that will fit on most lights. It will save me some money right now.

The old Azden mic used to work pretty good, but if I remember it seems like it would have interference if it was around certain types of lights.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2002, 08:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Head over to the local arts supply store. In their drafting section, there should be stuff like velum tracing paper. You should be able to find some sheets of paper-thin plastic that's as translucent as velum.

With some skill, it shouldn't be hard to rig up a frame (matte box) that holds a piece of that plastic in front of the light to turn it into a "soft box" of sorts.
CarterTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2002, 09:48 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

CarterTG's suggestion is a good one. Vellum is a sturdy tracing paper designed to handle some degree of heat (from Diazo duplication processes) and has a very even density with no dark spots. Just ask for a pad of "1000H" paper.

I'd bet that you could fashion a pretty good frame/holder from a wire coat hanger if your SunPak looks like I think it does. Cut the hook off below the twist. Bend the long side into a semi-circle that could clip over the light. Then bend the free ends up and then down to enable gels (i.e. the 1000H paper) to be clipped to the wire at 4 points.

Just brainstorming with ya.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2002, 10:23 PM   #4
Trustee

If you can't get the tracing paper, just plain ol oven baking paper does a good job and comes in 100m rolls for a couple of bucks
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2002, 03:12 AM   #5
Major Player

some good ideas,,thanks.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion