DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Anyone have a crystal ball? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/16361-anyone-have-crystal-ball.html)

Marco Leavitt October 28th, 2003 05:54 PM

Anyone have a crystal ball?

Can anyone hazard a guess as to whether camcorder manufacturers will retain the 58 mm filter size on the next generation of cameras? I'd like to continue buying adapters, but I'm afraid they'll be worthless once I make the jump to HD. Also, would current adapters be able to resolve enough lines to even make it worthwhile putting them on an HD camcorder?

Jeff Donald October 28th, 2003 06:05 PM

Filter sizes change all the time. There is no standard for sizes. That's why you have multitude of sizes now.

Joe Sacher October 28th, 2003 06:12 PM

With the many wide angle adaptors and other 58mm threaded devices that are much more expensive than filters, I would think that it would be a good idea for manufacturer to do keep to this size, unless there is a very good reason not to.

Marco Leavitt October 28th, 2003 06:27 PM

I guess I meant "filter threads." I wasn't referring to the filters themselves.

"I would think that it would be a good idea for manufacturer to do keep to this size, unless there is a very good reason not to."

Unless you're a manufacturer of adapters. :)

Joe Sacher October 28th, 2003 08:25 PM

That is true. However, when people don't buy your camera because it isn't compatible with their current accessories, then what do you do? :)

Jeff Donald October 28th, 2003 09:03 PM

I don't base camera purchasing decisions on filter sizes. I've got some old tires in my garage, so I should buy a car that fits the tires?

Frank Granovski October 28th, 2003 09:09 PM

You can always use a conversion ring.

Marco Leavitt October 29th, 2003 07:58 AM

"I don't base camera purchasing decisions on filter sizes. I've got some old tires in my garage, so I should buy a car that fits the tires?"

I don't think the analogy holds. In this case, it's the camcorder that's the disposable technology. You could easily spend more on quality fisheyes and telephoto adapters from a company like Century. It would be nice to be able to continue using them with successive generations of equipment. My brother's Nikon 35mm SLR camera will still accept Nikkor lenses made 30 years ago.

Jeff Donald October 29th, 2003 10:14 AM

Thirty year old Nikor lenses, optically don't perform up to today's standards. Sell the WA adapters filters etc. when yo usell the camera. Basing camera decesions around your accessories is not the best way to pick a camera.

Joe Sacher October 29th, 2003 10:25 AM

Quote:

Thirty year old Nikor lenses, optically don't perform up to today's standards.
They may not be top dog, but they will still do a great job. Not everyone wants to play the upgrade game with all the accessories when they change cameras. Not everyone has a need for the latest coated piece of glass.

I don't think filter ring size is the only factor in deciding which camera to buy, by any means. But, what about this:

I now need a new camera. I have $1000 tied up in 58mm filters and lenses. These are pretty new (5 years old or less) and perfectly servicable.

Brand A and Brand B both have cameras that do what I want. Brand A decided to use a 58mm lense and Brand B changed to a 68mm lense. Step down adaptors will not work, because of vigenetting. All else being equal, I will go for Brand A.

It will be a deciding factor, albeit a small one, in purchasing decisions.

Marco Leavitt October 29th, 2003 11:10 AM

In any case, the dilemma for me right now is whether to continue buying adapters, seeing as how I'm still shooting with a GL1 and would likely purchase one of Canon's next generation cameras if they release them next year. I really don't think native 16:9 is too much to ask, but that's another gripe altogether.