What's a good basic DV filiming setup? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 18th, 2002, 08:04 PM   #16
Warden

Paul,

Given your heavy travel and all, the Lowel Tota series would be good choice. They will offer a good all around compromise for weight, durability, performance, and price. Some of their kits offer a very good value. Used lights are on ebay all the time, but be very careful. Things like frayed cords and burnt sockets are easy to hide.

Cheaper lights like the Smith Victor (SV) won't take the possible abuse of the travel as well. Lower resale value and fewer dealers too. Lowel has some info you can download http://www.lowel.com/ to learn more about lights and lighting.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2002, 09:32 PM   #17
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Paul,

Given your heavy travel and all, the Lowel Tota series would be good choice. They will offer a good all around compromise for weight, durability, performance, and price. Some of their kits offer a very good value. Used lights are on ebay all the time, but be very careful. Things like frayed cords and burnt sockets are easy to hide.

Cheaper lights like the Smith Victor (SV) won't take the possible abuse of the travel as well. Lower resale value and fewer dealers too. Lowel has some info you can download http://www.lowel.com/ to learn more about lights and lighting.

Jeff -->>>

Jeff,

I jumped on a Lowel Tota Kit today on eBay. It is funny that you mentioned it. Just as you described, it appeared to be the best suited for my needs. Now let's hope that eBay is good to me yet again (no DOA).
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2002, 06:34 PM   #18
Wrangler

Here is my "Don't leave home without" list:

Wireless mic

Decent Tripod

Extra batteries

Good carying cases, one for the camera, one for the gear.

UV filters for the lens(es).

headphones

Here's my "buy with leftover budget" list.

On camera monitor

shotgun mic and mic stand/boom

camera stabilizer (see my post on homemade monopod style glidecam)

wide angle lens

a better shoulder mount if you are doing lots of field work.

A light kit if you REALLY need it (studio work).

Be very careful when you decide what you need. In fact, it's probably best not to buy anything until you NEED it. That way you won't get stuck with $$$$ of gear you haven't used.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2002, 07:10 PM   #19
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Nobody's mentioning the Lowel Rifa Lite 44. If you want compact...hard to beat that!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion