Alignment of the planets tonight! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 17th, 2002, 05:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Alignment of the planets tonight!

For those of you who want to get some footage of a planet alignment 45mins after sunset tonight.
ja135321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2002, 05:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Can it even be seen by a video lens? Would it look decent on a TV? Wouldn't a still picture serve the same purpose as a video since you can't really see the motion with the naked eye (very well)? Do they realign 45 minutes after sunset for each time zone, or are you referring to a specific one? Since I have mountains near me the sun seems to set earlier since the horizon in the west is effectively higher... should I wait 49 minutes?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2002, 05:58 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Regardless of time zone, it'll be visible during the onset of dusk until Mercury disappears below the horizon, or appx. 45 minutes after sunset.

I agree, it's more befitting a still photo. Doesn't happen again for another 30-odd years, by the way.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2002, 06:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Time Recording

I thought it would be nice to time record it. Then you can see the motion. Supposedly you should be able to see them with the naked eye. Jupiter being the brightest.
ja135321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2002, 06:19 PM   #5
Major Player

My guess is that, here in Seattle, I'd need infared to get through the clouds! We're chillin' and my son called from Boston today to tell me it was 91!

Cheers
Old April 18th, 2002, 04:12 PM   #6
Major Player

Hello, A couple of weeks ago, my neighbor and I were looking up at the moon at twilight and he pointed out what looked like a satilliteat 5 o'clock on the moon. I shot it for about an hour, it moved with the moon as the moon rose in the sky.

I used my XL-1 with standard lens on manual, and the 1.6x extender. I called up the local college and was told it was Jupiter.

Next night it was gone!

Not that you can tell it was Jupiter but it makes interesting stock.
B. Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion