Do we really need multi-coated filters? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 2nd, 2003, 04:27 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Speaking of filters, most filters are about the same quality (Multi-coated versus single-coated makes very little difference) and cost <$1 to make.

EDIT: nevermind the above, see the link in my next message if you want to learn more about filters. The markup on filters seems to be insane.

<EDIT> I split this discussion on filters from an unrelated topic. That's the reason for the odd intro by Glenn.

Jeff Donald
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 05:10 PM   #2
Trustee

I'd disagree about the quality of filters being the same. If there is enough of a difference to notice ,I rate that as a big difference.

At the higher end i'd agree and i'd also agree that the better filters may be a tad overpriced.

There is one whole hurd of difference between my cheapo national brand uncoated UV's and my Hoya SMC UV's. Ditto on the polarizers. The filter frames are also of vastly different qualities.

The finish on the large format filters is also diverse.

You do get what you pay for. In any given group the level of acceptance will vary. What's good enough for some won't be for others.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:08 PM   #3
Warden

Quote:
Speaking of filters, most filters are about the same quality (Multi-coated versus single-coated makes very little difference)
Sorry, but that's just not true. The difference between single and multi-coated filters is significant. Light transmission of MC filters is significantly greater. Flair is minimized to a greater degree by MC filters. B+W, Hoya, Zeiss and Tiffen all have information on their sites concerning MC vs. single coated and non-coated filters.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 07:11 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Wait, nevermind.

http://medfmt.8k.com/bronfilters.html#markup
Old November 2nd, 2003, 07:25 PM   #5
Wrangler

Brian is correct.

You can actually buy a UV filter that is made from green glass, not white glass. Why? It costs less.

Good filter glass is expensive. Good multi-coating is expensive but worth every penny. A good holder for the filter glass is expensive too. One wants the filter at right angles to the optical axis, both surfaces of the filter parallel, the threads made correctly and not of aluminum but brass, a nice knurl around the circumference so one can handle the filter.

Lots more than meets the eye.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 07:27 PM   #6
Wrangler

If the multi-coating story doesn't mean anything, order your next pair of glasses with a multi-coating. Incredible difference at night when one is driving! Made a believer out of me. Now if I could only get my windshield made that way.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 07:40 PM   #7
Warden

Glenn, your article quotes a guy saying that in 1985 the cost of a Nikon filter was $1. I'm not disputing that filters are high profit items. However, your assertions that MC is of little value is false.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 07:57 PM   #8
Outer Circle

Actually, Nikon filters are very good, and I've heard and read more than once that Hoya has been making them for Nikon. I don't know if this is factual, though I do know that Hitachi makes Pana's DVD 1 chip cams and That Sony's wide and tele for the VX2000 are made by Kenko. :)

Isn't Heliopan, B&W, Schneider and perhaps Zeiss all the same company?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 08:21 PM   #9
Trustee

Tiffen filters are made from green glass and they are supposed to be one of the better brands. Most premium filters are made from water white or shott glass.

I retired a few of my Tiffen UV's because I could see irregularities in their construction. Am I picky, darn right I am!

I've also read a few of the other articles on the site posted by Glenn. Some of the articles actually agree with the majority here and run counter to Glenns claim.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 09:50 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Regarding multi-coated versus single-coated filters, here's a webpage on it: http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/coatings.html.
Quote:
The advertisers and photo shop sales clerks would have you believe that multicoating of lenses is absolutely essential to good photography. Why, you should probably just toss out all those old single coated filters and buy brand new ones which are now available in a multi-coated version (at a high price). Please don't horrify them by pulling out your stock of uncoated filters!

Are they right? Are multicoated optics and filters essential for good photography? The short answer is NO!
There certainly is a difference between single-coated and uncoated filters. The website I linked to (http://medfmt.8k.com/bronfilters.html#brick) certainly says that there is a difference in the quality of filters.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 10:30 PM   #11
Trustee

"Are they right? Are multicoated optics and filters essential for good photography? The short answer is NO!"

The long answer is if I can afford them I'll buy them. Glenn, I try things out for myself and only use other peoples opinion as a guide. Don't take everything you read as gospel. On the site that you gave a link for, there are conflicting opinions among the articles. It flies in the face of reason to put something cheap between a good lens and the subject.

I know that multicoated filters are great, I couldn't always afford them so I didn't have them then. Life still went on. Read the Leica article, it says the oposite of your last comments.

On the same train of thought you may wish to read more on coatings. It never hurts to read more opinions especially when they are published by leading optical manufacturers.

http://www.2filter.com/faq/faq.html
http://www.centuryoptics.com/products/filters/index.htm

So you're a neighbour to the south. I'm assuming you either work at or attend Ryerson from the addy on the one post.
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:53 PM   #12
Inner Circle

>the threads made correctly and not of aluminum but brass,

Mike,

http://www.2filter.com/faq/facts.html lists on B+W filters
with rings made of brass. Do you use these or other filters?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 09:26 PM   #13
Major Player

Just check out the price and quality amongst all of the different binoculars and rifle scopes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion