DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   150GB for 1hr DV movie? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/16974-150gb-1hr-dv-movie.html)

David Ho November 12th, 2003 03:04 AM

150GB for 1hr DV movie?

I don't know if this is true or not. A friend of mine told me that 1hour of DV will take at least 150GB. A year ago, I used one of the school cameras and uploaded it onto the computer, and it was a 10 minute footage. It was about 3GB on the computer, so I'm thinking 10 minute x 6 = 3 x 6, so 18GB-20GB per hour at most? Maybe he is talking the super super high quality stuff.

Ted Springer November 12th, 2003 03:07 AM

I think it is around 14 Gigs per 60 minute DV tape, but I am probably off by a little bit on my guess here. But 150 gigs? No way.

David Ho November 12th, 2003 03:09 AM

Well, I think he was talking about it would only be low-compression or ultra-low quality that looks bad on TV if it was that low GB maybe? I seriously doubt it would be 150GB. He even said that 150GB is considered "below average." I dunno, I might be wrong too.

David Ho November 12th, 2003 03:12 AM

Does each camera differ? The one I used at school was a I believe an older Canon Optura 10, and it uploaded about 3GB for 10 minute footage. Does the semi-pro camcorders like gl2/vx2000/dvx100 compress it even further rate? Maybe he is talking about it for different camcorders, or are they all the same DV?

Terry Wright November 12th, 2003 03:56 AM

I usually get 4 minutes per gig.

Zac Stein November 12th, 2003 05:28 AM

It is approx 13gb per an hour for DV.

DV25 is DV25 is DV25, a canon xl1s down to some sharp weird cheap mini-dv camera will record at the same data rate and take up the same amount of space. It is a standard.

Dvcpro 50 well that is around 26gb per an hour. so it can't be that either.

Zac

David Hurdon November 12th, 2003 05:34 AM

At DV's constant rate of 3.6 MB/sec the math works out to 12.96 GB/hour.

David Hurdon

Chris Hurd November 12th, 2003 07:11 AM

David of course is spot-on as usual. I've always told new folks it was "about 15gb per hour" because the math was easier to do that way.

Julian Luttrell November 12th, 2003 07:51 AM

Uncompressed video

150GByte for an hour of standard definition video equates to about 41 MByte per second, or about 330 Mbit per second.

This is about the same as uncompressed 601 video, as used in broadcast installations. You won't get that off a prosumer digital camera.

Like everyone here says, DV25 is DV25 and has the same data rate no matter where you are.

I suspect the confusion has arisen from different meanings of "DV". The video industry has used this to mean "digital video" in general, including uncompressed. But there are also labels like "DV25", "miniDV", "DVCAM", etc, which refer to a specific 25Mbit/sec compression of digital video. Despite common (mis)usage, these terms are not interchangeable.

Regards,

Julian

BTW - low compression means that little compression has been applied, hence gives high quality; high compression means a lot of compression has been applied, and gives low quality. DV25 is compressed into just 1/5th of the amount of data as an uncompressed signal - a compression ratio of 5:1.

Norm Couture November 12th, 2003 08:12 AM

One hour in DV25 standards = 12.96 Gb, as David said.
But in order to come out with a 1-hour finished product, you also need room for your unedited stock shots and some previews of your special effects, etc.
So if you need to store 3 to 4 hours of stock shots to edit, you'll be using more like 65Gb of hard drive space to make your 1-hour show!
If it's just for storing a 1-hour DV movie, you're OK with 15Gb.

Glenn Chan November 12th, 2003 10:18 AM

Actually because of the containers used to store DV footage there's some slight variance in the size of your files. On the Mac/ iMovie timecode info is not stored so iMovie DV stream files are even smaller (by a little bit).

The different formats also store the information differently. QT and AVI type 2 store audio and video as their own chunks (so the audio portion is easy to access for audio editing) while iMovie and AVI type 1 store audio and video mixed together. (I might have gotten AVi type1/2 mixer around) If everything is working then you don't need to concern yourself about this stuff.

If I remember correctly most DV comes out to 3.6MB/s. http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-editing.html#DataRate

John Gaspain November 12th, 2003 01:21 PM

I have several 1 minute captures that are 222mb each. 222x60=13.32gb for an hour lond moviein DV25

but on the other hand I have a 6 minute uncompessed .avi that I rendered in Vegas that is 14gb!

summary:

so yes a hour long UNCOMPRESSED video rendered in Vegas could be 150gb.

and yes if you endup rendering it in DV25 it would only be 13.32gb, but there is a loss in quality.