My camera is failing.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 20th, 2003, 02:13 AM   #1
Major Player

My camera is failing....

DAmn. i got a TRV18 from sony.. and now exactly from a year of bought all the whole front module... night shot light, rec light, focus/infinit button, fader button, infrared sensor for the remote, and focus wheel, are not working...

anyone know of a utilty test software for the camera... or a secret menu to run any kind of diagnostics ?
Agus Casse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 04:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

There is a device that plugs into the camera's LANC port and can be used to diagnose the camera for certain things like the amount of hours on the tape heads. I doubt that it would solve your problem though. Something inside is probably physically damaged (maybe a disconnected wire).

You're probably better off getting your camera repaired at a Sony repair center. There are lots of them.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've had a TRV18 and got rid of it because the firewire stopped working. Honestly, the cheapest way to go is sell your camera on eBay with the known problems listed. You'll get more than you thought you would for it, then just buy whichever replacement camera you want. People will have things happen to their camcorder such as the tape deck will break or other various things and they will look for cameras like this to fix theirs with. Its cheaper for them and for you. You might even be able to just buy another TRV18 and replace the boards in it. I've done this with a TRV330, and a TRV530. I swapped some parts inside and I got a working TRV530!
Tim Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 09:16 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Quote:
Honestly, the cheapest way to go is sell your camera on eBay with the known problems listed.
...or not listed. This is what I keep telling people about why buying anything from ebay is risky. Not all sellers are forthcoming about the the item's true condition.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 10:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If you know what you are looking for...you should not have any problems. The ones who have problems are the people who think eBay is this magical place where everything is perfect, nobody tries to scam everybody and every auction is a good deal. I've had GREAT luck because I know how to buy on ebay, why are you so against it??? I got my TRV950 on eBay, along with every single other camera I have and for MUCH cheaper than I could have gotten it anywhere else.
Old November 20th, 2003, 11:20 PM   #6
Outer Circle

Quote:
if you know what you are looking for...you should not have any problems.
That's wishful thinking. I don't have anything against e-bay. I've bought a lot from there. It's just that buyers get ripped off a lot, and even a 100% positive feedback history from the seller doesn't guarantee the buyer from a bad buy or getting ripped off by a crook---never receiving the item. Didn't someone just post here that they were looking to purchase SOMEONE ELSE'S EBAY account, using some lame excuse that they can't get a checking account? This is one way how frauds occur on ebay: some crook buys someone else's account with a 100% positive feedback record and then proceeds to do the dirty deed or deeds.
Old November 20th, 2003, 11:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The entire time I was talking about my TRV950 you kept telling me how I shouldn't buy it on eBay blah blah blah about it. Well I bought it on eBay, I paid a lot less for it, brand new, with a 128mb memory stick, memory stick reader, and camera bag, all shipped overnight. I saved about $400-$500 from buying it somewhere else. I knew what to look for in an auction and I got my stuff. Yeah there are rare circumstances wehre something doesn't go right but once again there will always be a catch or sometime the seller did fishy that should tip the buyer off. You seem to want to argue me every time I say go look on eBay or sell it on eBay about how bad it is.....I'd like to think if somebody was smart enough to post on here about it, they'd use common sense when doing something on eBay. Nothing on eBay guarentees anything but looking for the right stuff does. I bought from a seller that sells cameras...and only cameras...they have a phone number and 15,000 feedback. If something went wrong I would have another avenue to pursue besides just an e-mail.
Old November 20th, 2003, 11:57 PM   #8
Major Player

I talk with tye sony people here in Guatemala, i was amaze how profesional they were... they will make me a 25% discount cause i bought it from them... and the problems seens to be very simple like a simple wire or board burned...

The problem is that i use my camera all the time and i dont have time to take it, but perhaps i will next week.
Agus Casse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 12:05 AM   #9
Outer Circle

Good luck. Agus. But do get it fixed soon so that Sony won't forget about you. :)
Old November 21st, 2003, 01:09 AM   #10
Trustee

Tim, you've been real lucky so far, Frank wasn't being mean he was trying to share some real life experience.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 03:20 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Ah, Guatemala would present different circumstances than in the US. Frank, I forget that you're in the UK, eBay must just be more popular here and a known way to conduct these transactions. I also don't think its luck, just somebody doing their research.
Old November 21st, 2003, 04:05 PM   #12
Outer Circle

I'm in Canada, Tim. I was talking about www.ebay.com. What's the difference whether you live in Canada, the USA or Guatemala? People sell and buy through ebay from all over the world. By the way, it was an Iranian couple who had moved to the USA that started ebay. I certainly agree with you about doing the research bit, however, this still doesn't get you a guarantee that you won't get ripped off.
Old November 21st, 2003, 04:52 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm sorry, I meant Canada, but I was thinking of how most of the other people here from the UK if not Canadian or US
Old November 21st, 2003, 06:00 PM   #14
Outer Circle

Yes, being in British Columbia, I can see why some might think I like in the UK. But living in Canada gives me the option to get better deals from our good neighbours down south. That's why I always go with what Bryan Beasleigh says about new order buying: Don't get ca'sucked with camcorder glitz, cross the damn border don't be a ditz. Selection is great and really cheap, don't have to dig deep go take the leap. :-)

Or just order online from here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com

PS: Now if I would have Manitoba listed as the place where I live, members might be asking, "Where's that? Is that 'Down-Under' or something?" :-)
Old November 21st, 2003, 11:09 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Going slightly off topic, buying from Canada sucks because:
A- Most stores don't sell to Canada
B- Even if they did, you have to pay brokerage feeds.
My old school ordered DV tapes and the brokerage fees cost nearly as much as the tapes!!!
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion