Hall of shame - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 29th, 2003, 12:10 AM   #31
Wrangler

I'll probably put the Mightywondercam up for sale when I get from Florida in 3 weeks, unless someone wants it badly now. I bought it used for about $100 last year. No ab pad.
Old November 29th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #32
Contributor

I bought one of those 5" lcd monitors with the battery and all in a black bag, from Markertek. It's just one step away from totally worthless. It's marginally acceptable if you're in a dark room, but under even normal room lighting, it's garbage. When I do jib shots now and need a small monitor outside away from power, I use a $75 Radio Shack little lcd TV. It's bright enough to use in the sun, weighs a few ounces and cost about 1/4 what the crap monitor did (which I'll sell for a low price if anybody want's a worthless piece of junk).
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2003, 06:41 PM   #33
Trustee

A Craftsman battery tester I bought at Sears. If there is possibly one second of diminished power left in a battery it still reads them all as new. The needle only goes 2 places, dead (the battery must be absolutely dead) or new.
Old November 30th, 2003, 02:45 AM   #34
Trustee

Hey, i thought this was video only. Since it encompasses everything , I'm including my first wife.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 02:58 AM   #35
Old Boot

VideoWave 3 and 5!

Mono-Pod Belt Brace for cammie.

Short live non-lith-ion cammie light - recharge overnight - 12 min working time.

PCMCIA CD drive . . .arrrgh!

Morphing software . . . .

.. this came at a really good time as I've been revamping my edit-pit . . . I even dug out and threw away Timeworks; Deskpress . . I've most likely thrown away software that Sotherbies will be auctioning off for heaps of cash in a few years time - yeah?

Thanks for the thread . . It's good to know I'm amongst others here - HAH!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 07:41 AM   #36
Major Player

Not video but..
A Canon 85mm/1.2 (!) lens for EOS. Beautiful, but I always leave it at home. Focus slooooooooooooow, it's heavy, fragile, big, expensive, obtrusive.

A Sony Hi-8 & VHS video recorder SLV-T2000. Never used the Hi-8 part (DV came along). Broke down several times.
Old November 30th, 2003, 06:15 PM   #37
Machinist Mate

Bill, have you thought about returning that monitor to Markertek as defective?

I have a similar unit, it has no black bag but an optional metal sun hood, and I use it in any kind of ambient lighting...makes a handy field playback monitor, plus I press it into service as a studio-style viewfinder when I need to extend the tripod legs to get the camera over peoples heads (and mine). While I certainly don't count on it to be dead-accurate color, it works just fine for what I use it for.

There must be some kind of warranty on it. That's a Delv-Cam, right?
Old November 30th, 2003, 09:52 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Pinnacle Studio 8 (Actually, I have to thank the makers of that P*O*S software--It made me get off my butt and learn Premier and Avid!) Although this is strictly my opinion, hell must hold a special place for Pinnacle for making Studio 8. Eight Emmy awards my a... ahem, never mind...

Wal-Mart Tripod.

And like another poster stated--anything from Radio Shack.

Did I mention Pinnacle Studio 8? <G>

-Phil

FCC Licensed Electronics Technician (GROL)
Amateur Radio - KC4UVU
Life Member of the PSHA - Pinnacle Studio Haters of America
Phil Reams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 10:17 PM   #39
Wrangler

I actually took a Pinnacle product into their headquarters to show them it did not work.

The Directors of Hardware and Software development looked the VP of the Consumer division right in the eye and told him the product was OK. He was livid, incrdulous, pissed and shouting all in about 5 seconds. From all the reports I hear, he didn't win.

I, shudder, almost went to work for them but I just couldn't convince myself that I wanted to work for a company like that.
Old December 1st, 2003, 03:26 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Pinnacle

<personal opinion>

Mike,

I suspect that Pinnacle, as an organisation, is suffering a lot from a combination of
a growth through disparate acquisitions
b cultural differences between divisions
c trying to aggressively carve a long term market position at a time when the industry is turning itself upside down.

They believe (and are right) that the era of high-end post/effects systems and houses running the show are well and truly over, and that the future will come from the ranks of the great unwashed. So they are setting out to own that new market in the same way that Avid (and others) managed to own the market: by building a complete Pinnacle environment that you live within. I think they are wrong here.

As a result you have things like Edition - quirky (so experience of using Edition prepares you for using, well, other Pinnacle editing software). They then tie other capabilities, like DVD authoring, into the same environment, trapping you further/simplifying things even more for you (delete according to your taste). I admit that Edition produces wonderfully high quality results (when it works), but I don't want this attitude anywhere near my workflow.

I understand their objectives for doing all this. The problem is, they are doing it in a market that is running away from them. They do not have the resources and time to properly test everything, to document it all (either accurately, or truthfully) or even to ensure that their internal product specifications are complete/correct. Result - angered customers beta testing paid-for software, and discovering too late that their shiny new purchase won't do what they expect/want.

New DVers have a choice - buy into the easy cheap Pinnacle vision of the world (a sort of MacDonalds of video), or take a bit more effort to build a more open, better working, and more flexible system from individual components (a sort of Pizza Express, if you know that chain - flavourful pizzas, not huge or sickly rich, with a sensible range of optional extras).

I always preferred Pizza Express, so that's the way I'd go:)

</personal opinion>

Regards,

Julian
Julian Luttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 01:11 PM   #41
Wrangler

Re: Pinnacle

<<<-- Originally posted by Julian Luttrell : <personal opinion>

Mike,

I suspect that Pinnacle, as an organisation, is suffering a lot from a combination of
a growth through disparate acquisitions
b cultural differences between divisions
c trying to aggressively carve a long term market position at a time when the industry is turning itself upside down.

"That may be true, Julian. But they've exhibited this behavior for over 7 years now. Somewhere in there they could have learned a little bit about caring for customers."

I've been in their position and it is always a matter of choice for the Board of Directors and Upper Management.

About 7 years ago, when Avid was their largest customer, everything was rosy. Then Avid (and Media) got into trouble because they thought the broadcast market would grow forever. The orders for the Pinnacle OEM hardware products started to dry up and, as you say, they started looking for an out.

Hardware products have great gross revenues but when times get tough, the gross revenues really take a hit. They were a captive of their OEM customers.

So become independent of the OEM. But one cannot sell hardware without software in the consumer market and they didn't have much of a software capability. Good software takes longer than hardware to develop. And then they needed to develop a customer base who prefers their software.

If revenues drop, so do the Upper Managers. So what to do?

"Wait! I know! Let's buy some customers!"

Instead of saying to themselves, "we have a great and profitable, if smaller business here," management and the Board decided to buy their way out of trouble.

After all, if you are always in the middle of acquisitions and integrating those organizations into yours, you cannot be blamed if the increasing revenue does not lead to increasing profits, can you?

I've been in companies that tried that approach. It so very rarely works that one would think Stanford B school would start teaching students to avoid that path.

What they (and to be honest, other companies) count on is fast market expansion in the uneducated user sector. Then they present an ever-changing product target that obsoletes yesterday's product before the consumer really understands that it doesn't work. If the consumer want's it to work, then they have to buy something that is supported today!"

<Soapbox/off>
Old December 1st, 2003, 02:05 PM   #42
Regular Crew

We are saying the same thing:)

I'm not defending them in any way - sorry if my post came across that way. I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about Pinnacle, and want to air it often:)

Julian

PS to give them their due - the colour correction filter in Edition is now spankin' - it's a shame it's wired into Edition...

Julian Luttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 02:27 PM   #43
Machinist Mate

I guess I never knew how lucky I was to be using Final Cut Pro! (Premiere also works fine, just more comfy w/FCP having spent many more hours at it) I guess you don't think I should buy Pinnacle!

:-)

Hey, I found a great new use for cheap XLR cables! Because trying to re-solder the flimsy wires back onto the connection points only results in the plastic insulators melting or breaking, you can save time by lopping off the plugs and heaving them in the dumpster, then taking the now-unterminated cables outside and using them as ropes to tie down your tarps on your outdoor machinery. I just covered my tractor and wood chipper that way! Hee hee!
Old December 1st, 2003, 07:30 PM   #44
Wrangler

Hey, Westport never has bad weather! Or are you afraid the colors will fade? :-)))
Old December 2nd, 2003, 03:57 PM   #45
Machinist Mate

Well, today it does...the auto body shops'll be plenty busy after this!

Yeah, I'm worried that Martha Stewart will write me a citation for faded tractor paint. Actually, I really don't like sitting down on a tractor seat full of water...stupid John Deere design. I have already had to replace the seat cover once.

All things considered, I'd rather be in Vallejo today.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion