low/dim light performance of TRV80 vs. DV953 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 5th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #1
New Boot

low/dim light performance of TRV80 vs. DV953

I will be buying one of these camcorders. The Panasonic DV953 looks a lot better on paper and reviews have been mostly glowing. There are many people that believe that the DV953 gets very grainy in low light. There are many complaints from users at cnet regarding this camcorder and low/dim light. In the camcorderinfo forums there are also complaints while some people say it is not too bad.

PC Mag says "It produced very good digital video and still-image quality under optimal lighting conditions, but quality suffered in dim light. This makes the PV-DV953 an affordable option for experienced videographers with a knowledge of lighting techniques and exposure adjustments but a poor choice for point-and-shooters."

The review on camcorderinfo says:
"In color representation the PV-DV953 blows away the DCR-TRV70 and DCR-TRV80 - the colors look much better. In low light situations, the PV-DV953 and the DCR-TRV70 and DCR-TRV80 are much closer, with the DCR-TRV70 and DCR-TRV80 taking a slight edge. The DCR-TRV70 and the DCR-TRV80 are solid camcorders however when you bring all the factors together, there is no question in my mind about picking the Panasonic PV-DV953 over the Sony's."

Is there only a slight difference between the TRV80 and DV953 in regards to low/dim light? It seems odd that there are so many complaints but yet the review says there is only a slight difference. I'm probaby shooting 2/3 of my video indoors. We have incandescent lights. My old camcorder (TRV10) worked fine indoors.

I don't want to have to worry about using additional light. I also don't want to worry about adjusting gain. The TRV950 is out of my budget. I want to be able to shoot video that will look great and not have to worry about shooting most the time but also being able to tweak it when I want to.

Please help! Is there anyone out there that has used both? Any comments?

Thanks!
Flip
Flip Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 02:55 PM   #2
Outer Circle

In my opinion, the PV-DV953 is certainly a much better cam than the TRV80. Plus its price is a steal at the moment. The TRV950's lux requirement is only slightly better than that of the 953. These are all good cams, however. If you can, go have a look and try them before deciding. In the end, it is you who has to decide.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 04:11 PM   #3
Inner Circle

There are pictures over at http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...8%2Findex.html.

I'm too lazy to look, but low light comparisons are there.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion