DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   setting for shooting a surf video from shore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/18003-setting-shooting-surf-video-shore.html)

Joel Corral December 5th, 2003 09:57 PM

setting for shooting a surf video from shore

hi,

i am going to some some surfing footage tomorrow, and i was wondering what shutter speeds and any other settings i should use to get the best possible quality. also should i use frame mode? i got only one shot at this because the surf rarely gets this good.

Rosie Young December 6th, 2003 08:30 AM

Since I've been reading this forum, I now use frame mode to shoot my surfing footage. I also use the HD filter, but with the weather the way it is in california, you may not need that today. My shutter is at 60 and f-stop usually around 5.6 or so, depending on the lighting. Obviously, a tripod is crucial. I also turn off the image stabilizer when I use a tripod.

Joel Corral December 6th, 2003 12:22 PM

thank you,

why would you turn the image stablizer off. do you lose quaility with it on?

Adrian Douglas December 6th, 2003 08:19 PM

Joel,

When shooting surf you should shoot in full manual, both exposure and focus, as the difference between the waves and the water will confuse the hell out of the camera and it will hunt all over the place. I shoot in frame mode and set my shutter to 1/50, 1/60 for you with NTSC, and control the exposure with the iris. I use the XL1's inbuilt ND and a polarizer to keep the light down to controllable levels.

Switching the stabiliaer off when on a tripod prevents lag when you pan. This lag is caused by the IS trying to fight the panning movement.

Matt Elias December 7th, 2003 03:57 PM

Legal Jargon

Joel, if you're going to use this footage in the public arena, make sure you get permission from the surfers to shoot them. If not, you'll be forced to hide their faces in post.

Joel Corral December 7th, 2003 06:17 PM

what,

i anit shooting any pros who are contracted with any agent that may have any copy right benifits.

Guest December 8th, 2003 12:07 AM

joe,
i film surfing and NC, mostly pros and some friends. my experience has been that all surfers are stoked to see someone filming them... they have egos that love to be fed, who doesnt? as far as getting permission, i dont really ever bother unless i am going to sell the footage to their sponsors or sell it to another videomaker (i dont make my own vids, i dont have the time... instead i sell footy to other companies)
basically, if you putting the stuff on the net or making small flicks that just you and your bros are gonna watch, dont bother. if bruce irons is out in the water, better get permission from him on tape.

lets see some footy!!!

Joel Corral December 8th, 2003 12:38 AM

yeah, thats what i thought but if i am shooting and bruce is out at newport point for some freak odd reason, what i cant shoot him. yeah right, i would, then of course ask permission to use it for what ever reason i need it for.

Michael Buendia December 8th, 2003 06:42 PM

shoot in frame mode, IS off, fully manual and get some additonal screw on nd filters to be used with the built in nd so you can shoot at a wider stop. at least one stop from fully open.

Guest December 8th, 2003 07:19 PM

ive got a gl2, alot of the PS guys seem to use the gl1 or pd150 when they shoot on miniDV, i was a little surprised by that...
i wont be filming thoug i dont think, im just trying to get a marketing internship... basically whatever i can get.

the day newport died is sick, definately worth checkin out

Joel Corral December 9th, 2003 02:08 AM

right on i will.

thanks for all the input guys.

Adrian Douglas December 9th, 2003 09:26 PM

Guys, this thread was about settings for shooting surfing not about clubbies closing the breaks. Please keep the discussion to video related subjects.

Jeff Donald December 9th, 2003 09:54 PM

Joel, if you haven't already done so you might want to review the DV Info FAQ. Meta discussions of this nature are discouraged. The topics are video and media related only. Please confine your future posts to the topic.

Thank you.