setting for shooting a surf video from shore at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 5th, 2003, 09:57 PM   #1
Major Player

setting for shooting a surf video from shore

hi,

i am going to some some surfing footage tomorrow, and i was wondering what shutter speeds and any other settings i should use to get the best possible quality. also should i use frame mode? i got only one shot at this because the surf rarely gets this good.
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 08:30 AM   #2
New Boot

Since I've been reading this forum, I now use frame mode to shoot my surfing footage. I also use the HD filter, but with the weather the way it is in california, you may not need that today. My shutter is at 60 and f-stop usually around 5.6 or so, depending on the lighting. Obviously, a tripod is crucial. I also turn off the image stabilizer when I use a tripod.
Rosie Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 12:22 PM   #3
Major Player

thank you,

why would you turn the image stablizer off. do you lose quaility with it on?
Old December 6th, 2003, 08:19 PM   #4
Trustee

Joel,

When shooting surf you should shoot in full manual, both exposure and focus, as the difference between the waves and the water will confuse the hell out of the camera and it will hunt all over the place. I shoot in frame mode and set my shutter to 1/50, 1/60 for you with NTSC, and control the exposure with the iris. I use the XL1's inbuilt ND and a polarizer to keep the light down to controllable levels.

Switching the stabiliaer off when on a tripod prevents lag when you pan. This lag is caused by the IS trying to fight the panning movement.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2003, 03:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Legal Jargon

Joel, if you're going to use this footage in the public arena, make sure you get permission from the surfers to shoot them. If not, you'll be forced to hide their faces in post.
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2003, 06:17 PM   #6
Major Player

what,

i anit shooting any pros who are contracted with any agent that may have any copy right benifits.
Old December 8th, 2003, 12:07 AM   #7

joe,
i film surfing and NC, mostly pros and some friends. my experience has been that all surfers are stoked to see someone filming them... they have egos that love to be fed, who doesnt? as far as getting permission, i dont really ever bother unless i am going to sell the footage to their sponsors or sell it to another videomaker (i dont make my own vids, i dont have the time... instead i sell footy to other companies)
basically, if you putting the stuff on the net or making small flicks that just you and your bros are gonna watch, dont bother. if bruce irons is out in the water, better get permission from him on tape.

lets see some footy!!!
Old December 8th, 2003, 12:38 AM   #8
Major Player

yeah, thats what i thought but if i am shooting and bruce is out at newport point for some freak odd reason, what i cant shoot him. yeah right, i would, then of course ask permission to use it for what ever reason i need it for.
Old December 8th, 2003, 06:42 PM   #9
Regular Crew

shoot in frame mode, IS off, fully manual and get some additonal screw on nd filters to be used with the built in nd so you can shoot at a wider stop. at least one stop from fully open.
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 07:19 PM   #10

ive got a gl2, alot of the PS guys seem to use the gl1 or pd150 when they shoot on miniDV, i was a little surprised by that...
i wont be filming thoug i dont think, im just trying to get a marketing internship... basically whatever i can get.

the day newport died is sick, definately worth checkin out
Old December 9th, 2003, 02:08 AM   #11
Major Player

right on i will.

thanks for all the input guys.
Old December 9th, 2003, 09:26 PM   #12
Trustee

Guys, this thread was about settings for shooting surfing not about clubbies closing the breaks. Please keep the discussion to video related subjects.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 09:54 PM   #13
Warden

Joel, if you haven't already done so you might want to review the DV Info FAQ. Meta discussions of this nature are discouraged. The topics are video and media related only. Please confine your future posts to the topic.

Thank you.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion