DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Letus Extreme or JVC HD110U? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/182431-letus-extreme-jvc-hd110u.html)

J.J. Kim April 10th, 2009 02:59 PM

Letus Extreme or JVC HD110U?

I know it seems a little awkward questions, but I have a good reason for it.
I have about $3000 budget to add extras to my XH-A1.
Letus Extreme has been my thoughts for shallow DOF for interviews and maybe weddings (details and whatnot).
Then when I visited B&H this afternoon, I saw JVC HD110U for $2999.99.
If stock lens on HD100U is good enough for me to have shallow DOF, why not?
I would not have to bother with rails and attaching/detaching lens & adopter from cameras and whatnot.
Then again, how smooth would workflow be with HD110U for the editing?
For the price, I could get a brand new HD110U with money that I could get Letus extreme plus lens.
HD110U's DOF would not even close to using Letus, but would it still a lot better than XH-A1? I am keeping all the extra stuff for HD110U to a minimum if that's where I am heading.
Any thoughts?
I would greatly appreciate your opinions on this.

JJ

Shaun Roemich April 10th, 2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.J. Kim (Post 1076214)
If stock lens on HD100U is good enough for me to have shallow DOF, why not?
I would not have to bother with rails and attaching/detaching lens & adopter from cameras and whatnot.
Then again, how smooth would workflow be with HD110U for the editing?

DOF is a factor of several things, not one of them being "quality of lens". The HD110U has 1/3" chips, just like the XH-A1. No advantage there. Same DOF, all things considered with the noticeable difference being the Canon is probably a bit more light sensitive so you'd get a LITTLE shallower DOF on the JVC in the same light conditions SOLELY due to a wider aperture.

Workflow with JVC's depends greatly on what edit software you use - SPECIFICALLY what version of any given software.

And this is coming from someone who is VERY happy to own 2 HD200U's.

J.J. Kim April 10th, 2009 03:15 PM

Thanks, Shaun. Since their chip size is same, I thought wider aperture of JVC lens would make some difference, but I don't think that's the case here...

JJ

Shaun Roemich April 10th, 2009 03:38 PM

As part of a focal distance/focal length/aperture combo, I'm sure it will make a BIT of a difference, but nothing massive. I would suggest that imager size is probably the biggest single factor in DOF.

Dylan Couper April 10th, 2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.J. Kim (Post 1076322)
Thanks, Shaun. Since their chip size is same, I thought wider aperture of JVC lens would make some difference, but I don't think that's the case here...

JJ

I bought a Brevis35 to use with my HD100 because the DOF was virtually the same as every other 1/3" miniDV, HDV camera out there. Stick with your XH and get the adapter if you want shallow DOF.

Heiko Saele April 16th, 2009 03:32 PM

In addition to the fact that the DOF is the same as with any 1/3" camcorder, the Fujinon stock lens on the JVC GY-type camcorders has a terrible "wide angle" of 5.5mm - you'd really have to consider a wider lens, the 5.5mm is really not fun to work with as your widest focal length.
Other than that I think the GY-types are the best to work with 1/3" camcorders because of their real manual lenses and the shoulder mount form.