Anyone have information on rumours of new Canon cameras? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 1st, 2002, 10:39 PM   #1
Trustee

Anyone have information on rumours of new Canon cameras?

Hi all, in my continuing search for a camera I've been given advice on this, that and the other (XL1/s,XM1,PD150,etc,etc) but I've had a few people mention this "rumour" that Canon may be updating their "prosumer" camera range within the next several months. Now we all know about net "rumours" but does anyone have anything substantial on this at all. I guess if we're looking at 6 months or so I aint waiting, but if it's a month or two It might be worth it.

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2002, 11:05 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Look at it this way. Canon offers a substantial rebate of $250 on the GL1 (introduced way back in 1998) which expires on June 30th. Remember this also happened with the XL1 last year and then the XL1S was announced two weeks later. Draw your own conclusions. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2002, 11:19 AM   #3
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

or look at it !!
canon makes X GL'S PER MONTH .. they have a inventory of 3-4 months ... the economy has been slow ... when products are NOT selling you either lower the price OR offer a rebate... canon had a 100 rebate on the GL. the day if was over they then offered a 250 rebate ! which suggest to me that the 100 rebate was NOT successful , it did NOT clear out their inventories !

YES , canon will offer a new GL ? or new model ? at some point.
the GL still holds it place in the 1800-2300 range,
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I jumped at the $250 rebate, that's an incredible value, regardless of what come after. Trying to figure when the next great piece of hardware comes out is like trying to time the stock market. It's either good equipment (company) or not, the rest is folly.
Old May 10th, 2002, 04:46 PM   #5
Outer Circle

Yeah..., I've been waiting for Canon's big new GL-2 debut too, however, I hope it isn't going to have those lovely, 1/4.8" CCDs. Sony sure shot themselves in the foot with that one. Nobody's impressed with those little suckers. Oh..., take me back to the days of the AG-EZ1 and VX1000!

If Canon does come out with something that'll sit on the faces of the competition, I think I'll sell my wife to get the scratch for a new love: the GL-2. I know, just a pipe dream with some cheap talk to make the grass a bit greener. Hey, I'm a dreamer, alright? (Where are the icons?)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2002, 05:24 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Be happy when it does come out with 1/4" CCDs. Be happy about that because at least they won't be 1/6" CCDs.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion