The results are in...PC vs. MAC - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 4th, 2002, 10:50 AM   #16
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Quick, hit the "Break" key!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2002, 01:53 PM   #17

Martin_M, I suggest you take a look at Sonic Foundry's Vegas Video 3. There are some VERY pleasant surprises in this inexpensive program...and it's getting better.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2002, 10:54 AM   #18
Major Player

billravens,

Thanks for the tip! I'm really open to any new NLE solution. Vegas Video looks good...for DV. I hope they will be opening up to the professional market soon. DV makes it limited in serious post production. I need to work in other formats than DV (5:1 compression). I need 1:1. Some times I even need 1:1 HD over 250MB/sec RAID. DV is 6MB/sec. A Mac doing uncompressed SD/HD is something like 17K. Base price of the equivalent wintel HDBOXX system is something like 50K. And it can't do DV like FCP.

I think video scalability is THE thing of today. Locking systems down to only one video format is rediculous. If you are a developer and your not meeting the demands of video scalability you will be forced to drop prices. We are seeing this happening to a lot of high end developers like Maya and Avid. There is no way Avid can keep on selling us SD uncompressed systems for 60K when you can get it at better image quality with a Mac and 8 bit/10 bit card (Igniter or Voodoo) for under 8K with 24fps capability!

If you are never doing anything more than DV I think the Vegas Video system is OK. Even if you can't batch from EDL's. And can't off line film cutting with exports of Kodak Keycode lists. And it has no OMF support like FCP3 with Automatic Duck. But hey! The Vegas Video NLE is almost half the price of FCP! But the $400 your saving when not buying FCP will give you a lot more bang for the buck if you deside to spend it on FCP.

But keep in mind that DV is fine for photographic material but it sucks at any type of CG or broadcast graphics (sure you can do trashy skate video graphics but forget advanced compositing). The solution is to shoot DV but not edit DV unless it has no graphics or VFX or you are doing an offline.

I will keep hoping for a serious wintel threat to FCP. Competition is good.
Old May 5th, 2002, 11:15 AM   #19
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Speed, schmeed.

Sitting back and taking in the spectacle of the OSX Cinema display desktop, graphic-rich dock, translucent windows, genie effect openings, and with Photoshop 7.0 and FCP 3.0 spread all over the screen, buttons glistening...it's no contest...

...Macs are sexier than PCs.
Old May 12th, 2002, 12:54 PM   #20
Trustee

This has got to be the most "Loaded" type of argument around (the internet is FULL of threads on this subject) ...

..as a long time pc user (ever since the Timex Sinclair- anyone remember those??) I've got to say most people who have used pc's and have tried Mac's often switch to Mac's as a result of the ease of use and just the fact that they seem to do exactly what they're aiming to do- the biggest complaint I have is that OS 9 has frozen a few times and it's terribly frustrating to have something freeze in the middle of a project...I'm willing to bet that ounce for ounce pc processores can outgun Mac processors but with the Windows OS and a thousand pc makers- there's always going to be issues with compatibility etc..the biggest Mac plus is the fact that when you buy a Mac you get the OS and software all made by the same company that makes the computer- if Microsoft ever decided to make a PC 100% on it's own- it would either be a dedicated powerhouse or a horrible wreck...I'm sure pc makers wouldn't want MS to start making pc's anyway....

...anyway- count me in on the Mac bandwagon- Final Cut Pro is just rocking the NLE industry and the fact that it's a Mac only app is just a plus- I wonder if Apple has ever considered making it available for pc's...would be interesting.
Old May 12th, 2002, 02:53 PM   #21
Major Player

<<<--...anyway- count me in on the Mac bandwagon- Final Cut Pro is just rocking the NLE industry and the fact that it's a Mac only app is just a plus- I wonder if Apple has ever considered making it available for pc's...would be interesting. -->>>

I can only hope Apple doesn't -- look what happened to AOL after they opened the gates to non-MAC users!
Old May 12th, 2002, 04:47 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Yeah AOL became a mega powerhouse with tons of money! Quality be damned!

Interesting note about OS 9, Steve. Yeah I've seen it freeze on occasion. But never during video editing. Usually when it freezes it's when I'm putzing around with Internet Explorer. Using Netscape will often make Netscape crash but it won't freeze. I wish they'd update Opera to what it is on the PC (awesome browser).
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion