Hidden / spy camera & mic for documentary at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 11th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hidden / spy camera & mic for documentary

Guys, I'll be going into an unfriendly part of the world to hopefully capture some great footage. I'll be bringing an HV30 for when I can pose as a tourist, but what can I use in places where no cameras are allowed? Is there a way to hide an HD camera in a hat, bag, etc? And how about sound - someone said I should use a wireless lav mic with a recorder in my bag?
Jackie Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sounds risky.

If you do develop a rig, I'd recommend testing it by walking around inside Wal Mart or some other large store which prohibits filming.

If you can get past them then maybe you can get away with it in an unfriendly country.

If it doesn't work in Wal Mart, you'll just get banned from the store, rather than get "Locked Up Abroad".
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

To clarify: the HV30 is for when I can get away with walking around in beach shorts with a big smile and film stuff. For hidden filming, I need to use one of those spy cams. I need advice on this as well as the sound.
Jackie Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #4
Major Player

check Security Cameras & Security Camera Surveillance Equipment, CCTV, DVR you will find many cameras and similar for 'undercover' work.
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #5
Major Player

For HD Work the Sony HVR-MX1 is a new 'pencil cam'. It's not huge, but not tiny either, but does record HD resolution, could be useful for some situations.
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Morton View Post
Guys, I'll be going into an unfriendly part of the world to hopefully capture some great footage. I'll be bringing an HV30 for when I can pose as a tourist, but what can I use in places where no cameras are allowed? Is there a way to hide an HD camera in a hat, bag, etc? And how about sound - someone said I should use a wireless lav mic with a recorder in my bag?
Where would you hope to ever show this doc without releases?
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Morton View Post
To clarify: the HV30 is for when I can get away with walking around in beach shorts with a big smile and film stuff. For hidden filming, I need to use one of those spy cams. I need advice on this as well as the sound.
In most of the truly unfriendly areas of the world, arriving in country and appearing at customs carrying what appears to either be espionage equipment or journalist's gear (without journalist's credentials and minders) could be rather hazardous.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion