DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Need advice for a new film-maker (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/18709-need-advice-new-film-maker.html)

Richard James December 22nd, 2003 10:40 PM

Need advice for a new film-maker

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the online-film world, i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction... I'm looking for a few top sites that show movies from site users, ones you can upload your work to, and any other sites that are handy for a new film-maker.

The only site i know of right now is atomfilms.shockwave.com, it seems good, but looking for a few more if anyone knows some?.

Also, is there anyone that could point me to some films that have used the GL2/XM2, atomfilms has a few films, but has nothing about which film was shot with what camera/what was done in post, and so on, (although i know "no regrets" was shot on the GL2.

Right now i don't have the funds needed to get many actors, and to start out with i'll be learning the basics, are there any types of independent films that have been shot without many actors, or even any films that have been shot without a crew larger than one or 2 people? Main reason for this is i have a lot to learn, and right away i'll be getting used to lighting and everything else, but i would like to start shooting soon, and do some bigger projects when i have the skills needed.(also have quite a lot to learn in the video editing area)

Thanks for any help, and happy Xmas!:D

Dan Brown December 23rd, 2003 09:17 AM

I am in a similar situation as you. I have a 10 page screen play and now I've gathered most of the equipment to shoot my film. This is a hobby activity, so the budget is straight out of my pocket. I stared talking about the project with some younger friends, and got connected with a group that are studying drama at a local college. Well, guess what? I now have a whole troup of people eager to work on/act in my film, free of charge! It seems that many, many people are eager to get involved in projects like yours.

Richard James December 23rd, 2003 10:22 AM

cool, ya, a lot of new actors out there, i'll be starting some film courses at college soon, so i'll no doubt be able to hook up with some people there... Its probably best i spend the next few months or so learning editing, and lighting/camera, and shoot some mini-shorts untill i am able to get a solid screenplay together, by then i should of mastered the basics of editing and shooting:D

Glenn Chan December 23rd, 2003 02:14 PM

mandy.com is an online wanted/job listings database. You could post an ad for crew there or join other people's shoots.

Richard James December 23rd, 2003 02:52 PM

Ok thanks:D

Any idea of a site that you can upload your work to, and view other users films? also i came across a fan film site before, where uses made spoofs and fan films of the lotr, if anyone could point me to a site like that, it would be of great help, thanks again for the replys:)

Mickey Stroud December 24th, 2003 04:49 PM

www.triggerstreet.com is a popular site for uploading videos and seeing others.

A number of the LadyX videos were shot on Canon GL1's or GL2's. Go to www.ladyxfilms.com when you click on the episode the production credits will tell you what cameras were used. Episode 27 was definitely shot on Canons.

Richard James December 25th, 2003 05:58 PM

Ok cool, thanks Micky.