Canon Xi mpeg 4 or not? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 31st, 2003, 12:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon Xi mpeg 4 or not?

I jsut got an Xi and the files it outputs are in .asf format, and plays on WM9 once it downloads an audio codec, but will not play on apple even with WM9. LAME. Why could they not use a standard mpeg4 format to make it simple for others to view my files?
Robert Silvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 12:16 AM   #2
Outer Circle

What does it say on the Canon site?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 12:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have the instruction manual. It calls it mpeg4. But it uses a nonstandard audio codec that requires downloading. What a pain! And it is in .ASF format, which is some streaming format that microsoft patented! Why oh why did they select this? it kills all hope that I can throw a file up on my web page and have family and friends look at it.

Now I have to do it the hard way -- make them myself from a DV file. I mean, that is fine, but I find the camera has TONS of useless features.

You can do stuff like chroma-key jpegs on the memory card over video. Stuff that you would never want to do in a million years in-camera unless you happened to have a $1500 camera and no computer. Geeze.

Sometimes less is more.
Robert Silvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 02:20 AM   #4
Outer Circle

Thanks for mentioning this problem. I thought that MPEG4 was MPEG4, but I see that it is not this simple.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion