Can editing/exporting/importing media through the computer damage your hardware? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 7th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I use several types of tape decks that we use such as the DSR-11 and the DV2000 which are made for importing and exporting. If one uses the heads on their camera as much as I use the decks there would be no camera heads. We have one DSR11 that I believe that has over 1,000 hrs on the heads and we have yet to send it in for a repair. Were we have done so with a GL1 when it was used for a tape deck.
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 05:43 PM   #17
Major Player

When you say tape decks, are you talking about the heads that can easily get clogged because of switching brands/models of tapes?
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:13 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Yeah that and the over usage of the Camera heads to a tape deck heads as a decks handles tapes going over them better. They are better on a deck than on a camera as they are meant for wear and tear fast forward, rewind jog you know what I mean don’t ya??

Also the deck cost less than a camera in the long run and gives you more features. As to the tapes that is another area as when you go from a DVCAM to a DV full size I clean the heads and when you go from a Sony MiniDV to another MiniDV one is wet the other is dry so you again have to clean your heads.

All this head cleaning is hard on the deck so that is why most NLEs use solvent instead of those tape cleaners as they are too abrasive to the heads.
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:03 AM   #19
Major Player

Where can I get one of these tape decks? I am currently using DVM63MQ's so that should be LESS wear on the heads. Can you transfer to DV to the computer using a tape deck? What is a tape deck, btw?
Old January 9th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #20
Major Player

And I've also heard from several people that programs like Premiere Pro and more intensive ones require at least 2.4GHz or higher processors -- is this true? If so, I am afraid I am doomed as I prefer the more advanced features of Premiere and other programs of it's kind.
Old January 9th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #21
Regular Crew

You can go to B and H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?BI=155)

Type in Sony DSR11 and see what a typical deck looks like from there the sky is the limit. There are many companies that supply deck now as the market has opened up more to the prosumer now as before it was Pros only market.
Old January 9th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Decks are for people who go through hundreds of hours of tape. On the lower end you can just get a cheap camcorder to use as a deck. These kind of issues should be thoroughly covered in the long black line forum.

Quote:
And I've also heard from several people that programs like Premiere Pro and more intensive ones require at least 2.4GHz or higher processors -- is this true? If so, I am afraid I am doomed as I prefer the more advanced features of Premiere and other programs of it's kind.
You should start a new thread for this with details on your computer and what you want to do.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion