What should we expect after NAB...ect? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 6th, 2004, 10:26 AM   #1
Major Player

What should we expect after NAB...ect?

Does anybody know? I wanna buy a new cam, but I'd like to see what's coming out in 2004 before I jump.
Thanks
MG
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 01:58 AM   #2
Outer Circle

This is an often asked question this time of the year. The best suggestions I can offer you are:[list=1][*]Determine what you need in a cam and how much you are willing to spend.[*]See if any current models fit the bill.[*]If not, wait 'til the new models arrive, which will be about April/May and maybe June.[/list=1]
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Frank,
I've actually pretty much settled on a cam, but there is all the HD talk going on and it makes me nervous. I would hate to buy a minidv cam and then see a HD prosumer cam with good manual controls hit the shelves two months later. I think I probably will wait; patience is one of the few virtues I possess.
BTW: I always find your posts either entertaining or extremely helpful. Thanks again for responding.
MG
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Even if a HD camera came out and even if that camera isn't a watered down version of the watered down JVC HD cam, you will have difficulty editing the footage and showing it to others. The HD format isn't too widespread and editing it right now is complicated (involves converting your footage to DV and then matching it back to your HD footage).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #5
Contributor

If I needed a new camera now, I wouldn't wait for HD. Not only would the camera be an issue, but also a new NLE, in my case, and a deck to play HD. I know it's coming, but it's not here yet, and I don't ever want to be the first kid on the block with the newest toy. Let somebody else pay the high prices and deal with the bugs.

On the other hand, if I didn't have any big shoots coming up between now and April, it might be a good idea to wait and see if there are any interesting upgrades. I think it depends on what level of camera you are after. The PD150 has just been upgraded to the PD170, and the A model of the DVX100 is out, so it's unlikely there'll be any serious advance in 1/3" chip prosumer cameras...although, wouldn't it be interesting if Canon or JVC came out with a 16:9 chip version of their 1/3" chippers? That would be very cool, but I'd be willing to bet a dozen Krispy Kremes that won't happen. On the professional level, I think I would wait to see what Panasonic's going to be doing with their tapeless recording. They might be getting that chip array thing down to a reasonable level, and Sony might be getting their optical disk thing in better shape...on the other hand, who the heck wants to try out a new non-standard format at this point? Probably some TV stations, but not me.

I'm going to NAB this year, not for cameras but to check out new dolly systems and HMI's we're thinking about buying. If you know you're going to buy something, you can often get a substantial discount by buying at the show. It can more than pay for your air fare and hotel, plus the boothbabes are a lot more fun than your local ugly hairy dealer.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:48 AM   #6
Major Player

buying at nab

Does this saving translates to cams as well?
I'm buying everything this year, and I do mean everthing, cam, lights, stabilization.. the only thing I'm not buying is a new Mac- that's next year. Maybe I should go, I'm not really That far away...
I'll just need to stay quiet so as not to expose my massive ignorance to all the pros...
Something to think about anyway.
thanks for the data.
MG
Old January 7th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #7
Contributor

The nice thing about going there is that you can compare all the different stuff side by side. Last time I went, for example, I got a set of Altman fresnels. I thought I was going to by the Arris, but when I saw all the available lights, I liked the Altmans better.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion