16X9 Anamorphic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 9th, 2002, 09:20 AM   #1
New Boot

16X9 Anamorphic

Has anyone made use of the Optex Ananmorphic Attachment for the XL-1? I am aware that it has limited use (Wide End vignetting) but even so...? Am seriously considering how to go about shooting a feature documentary in 16X9. Any ideas?
Peter Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2002, 09:57 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Peter,

In case you missed it, Adam Wilt reviewed the Optex in the Feb issue of DV Magazine. The review is online at: http://www.dv.com/print_me.jhtml?LookupId=/dv/xml/review/wilt0202

You may have to undergo their free registration process to see it.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2002, 12:52 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the link info. It looks like the Adadpter could be extremely useful.

While I'm on the subject, do you know of any links or info re: documentary work + equipment use in extreme situations, eg tropical mountain regions/tropical rainforest? This is where I will be shoooting 80% of the doc and I'm slightly concerned about the weight of the XL-1 with accessories (shoulder pad, battery hook-up etc.)

I do want to use the XL, it is such a great tool, but may need to think it through a bit more. If anyone has any input I'd be greatful.

By the way, this site is an incredible resource. Thanks, and keep it up!

Peter.
Old May 9th, 2002, 01:23 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Peter,

Just this week I attended a presentation given by a remarkable young Australian journalist/filmmaker, Michael Davie, sponsored by National Geographic. He specializes in going into socially or politically hot areas (ex: pakistan, Afghanistan, China, et.al.) and telling "untold" stories. He uses very minimal gear because, he says, larger gear is just too intimidating and attracts too much attention. I believe that he normally uses a Sony PD-150. You might be able to find more info on his work at nationageographic.org.

Bruce Johnson recently wrote an article for DV Magazine on a shooting trip through Africa with his XL1. You might still be able to find the article on the DV.com site's archive.

Lastly, there's an article (linked from the XL! Watchdog site) by a fellow who used an XL1 for a professional assignment in Hawaii. It may be of interest to you. It's at:

http://www.dirckhalstead.org/issue9808/cameracorner.htm

I think your choice of equipment will be dictated by what you're planning to shoot. If you plan to stick a camera in front of people who may be very superstitious or who might be afraid of repraisals then smaller is probably better.

Good luck with your adventures!

p.s. There are some great rebates on the Canon GL-1, the XL1s' little brother. It's an excellent cam for run-and-gun work.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2002, 02:41 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Ken,

I will check out the National Geographic site. Sounds interesting.

I have considered using the XM-1 (GL-1 over in the States, right?) but am not sure how the quality of lense compares to other, lighter cameras. I know I need to add pro audio set up to whatever camera set-up I go with. The accessories for both the XL- and XM- over here are easily available. The PD-150 comes very highly recommended, but is also highly priced. I have budget enough for it, but it depends on what accessories I would need to put with it as a basic unit.

My main consideration here is the end result needing to be good enough for potential film transfer/tv broadcast (I say potential because I am still raising money for this. Production budget is acquired, but not transfer. I'm hoping to find an editing company that will be interested in getting involved.)

I have visited the Dirck Halstead site previously (he's "Platypus", isn't he?) and he reviews the XM-1 also. He likes it as a "back-up", but I haven't heard of anyone using the XM- to shoot for film. (?)

I am certainly going into some very sensitive areas and need to prioritise:
a. Long battery life
b. Weight (inc. pro audio set-up)
c. Lense quality/durability of camera

Thanks for your feedback, Ken. It has given me some more options.

Peter
Old May 12th, 2002, 04:41 AM   #6
New Boot

Ken,

I went to the National Geographic site. That guy Michael sounds like a very interesting bloke. How was the lecture he gave?

Those personal documentary films are an entire arena of filmmaking, (that is under-resourced, I think) but is exciting. I love the adventure of it all.

Trouble was, I couldn't get anything more than a small biog of him. In the photo he looks like he's holding a 16mm film camera. (?) Do you have any more info on him?

I am still looking into cameras. As I have an XL-1 already I am thinking of getting an XM-1 as well. Do you know if I can get an audio setup (for a 'lone gun' camera shooting situation) that is transferable from the XL to the XM? So that I can invest the money in a setup that is compatible?

Cheers,
Peter.
Old May 12th, 2002, 05:51 AM   #7
Trustee

Peter

Hunt around for a Beechtech. I think there is one for XL/XM/GL's
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion