i need a compressor for 5 generation compressing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 11th, 2004, 07:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Location: Augusta georgia 15min. from Aiken S.Carolina and 2 hours from Atlanta
i need a compressor for 5 generation compressing

i need to know what is the best compression if i am rendering straight cuts from vegas to premiere then to after effects then to premiere again to send to ulead dvd movie factory? in vegas the only option see for uncompressed video is under video for windows avi.

what is also a good compression rate where i will have smaller files and very unnoticeable loss in quality from original and then final footage after 5 generations?
Patrick Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Use a lossless codec like huffyuv.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 02:20 PM   #3
Wrangler

ONce you get the video in, uncompress it and work on it all through the chain as uncompressed. Then feed that to your DVD authoring program or a MPEG compressor still as uncompressed.

That way you only go through 1 decode and 1 encode.
Old January 11th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

uncompressed is as the name suggests.
lossless codecs give the same quality as uncompressed as the name suggests, but they compress the video so file sizes aren't quite as large. Huffyuv will reduce uncompressed footage to something like 40%. It's free, so that's why I suggest it. :) Animation is another lossless codec, and I think it's also free.

Then there are lossy codecs like DV, which compress even more but can add artifacts.
Old January 11th, 2004, 07:32 PM   #5
Wrangler

But you have to be careful that the lossless codecs not only don't add an artifact or two but that they conserve the color correctly.

If they convert between color spaces, that can also mess up the video. Especially if the video is converted multiple times. If they keep it in YUV color space all the way through, then OK. But if they convert it to RGB and back, then that may not be OK.
Old January 12th, 2004, 01:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

that is great

i have the animation codec with quicktime 6. i used it in vegas. i aslo tried to render targa files, but it only comes out as a mov. thanks for the great advice. is hufyuv better than animation? what codec do i need to render stills from vegas?
Old January 12th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks everyone

i have also found this info very useful. i got the link from somewhere on this forum.

http://codecs.onerivermedia.com/
Old January 12th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #8
Inner Circle

PNG (kind of like GIF except with some extra features like alpha channel and a lot less popular) and GIF are lossless formats that you can export stills to. Targa is a good format for video (but I forget why). TIFFs with LWZ compression are also lossless.
Old January 12th, 2004, 10:55 PM   #9
Trustee

GIF is lossless, but it only supports up to 256 colors so I would not recommend using it for video or photos. It's better suited for graphics such as logos that have a limited color pallette.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #10
Wrangler

DV video has only 8 bits (256 levels) per color. But some editing systems do run from 10 to 16 bits per color.
Old January 15th, 2004, 11:17 PM   #11
Trustee

I mean 256 colors total for the entire image, not per color channel. In addition to video I also do graphics work, including designing web sites, and my impression from all that I have heard is that GIF is much more suited to images that have few colors without gradations, and JPEG is the format of choice for photos.

For more information, see this web page: http://www.scantips.com/basics9g.html.
A very informative table comparing TIF, PNG, GIF and JPG formats is here: http://www.scantips.com/basics09.html. (The link looks like the same page as above, but it does go to a different page).
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion