What's the new lingo? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 15th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #16
Inner Circle

To coordinate a multi-cam shoot we just call out "roll camera" and respond with "speed."

There's nothing that really rolls. And nothing comes up to speed, either. But it's something we're comfortable with.

The term "video" brings to mind interlaced NTSC, and HD is much more than that. To me it's more like film. Discrete frames at high resolution instead of high-speed scans of odd and even fields.

By the way, if you're shooting a surgical procedure, "cut" means "action". :-)
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #17
Major Player

I shoot things.

And im usually rolling - as i'd hope some kind of timecode would be rolling over.

"Did you get that?"

"yes i was rolling"

I also seem to be 'set' a lot.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #18
Regular Crew

You have to watch the word "shoot". I needed to get some footage of Bald Eagles so I called the Department of Lands and Forrest here in Canada. I asked the lady on the phone if she knew of any Eagle nests because I needed to shoot them for a show I was working on. After the long silent pause I asked if she was still there and she said in a mad tone " if you are joking I certainly don't think its funny". I clued in to what I said and explained to her but the damage was already done she did not want to help me at all. True story.
Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #19
Inner Circle

In the days of tape we would
Video Tape
In the days of film we would
Film

So in the days of recording to flash we would
Video Flash
or
Flash
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Capture motion pictures is what I do with the EX1 as a cinematographer. I shoot video with a PD-150 (and really dislike the term Videographer).
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #21
Regular Crew

This is getting trickier as many definitions get lost in translation from pro to client.

I said "shoot" once over the phone to an HR manager for a VERY PC corporate job and got a long pause as well. Even though I described myself as the videographer I soon realized she had reacted to the negative side of the word in a workplace setting.

You say "acquire" and the client thinks someone just hands you the video and you didn't have to do anything.

You say "record" and it gives the feeling that you just sit there and push a button. The idea of lighting, editing, etc seems to get left out.

"Capture" kinds confuses everyone. Since I think of it as a post-production procedure and it's too alien of a word for clients to really grasp.

I say "get video" for corporate gigs. They get the point and it's fact of the matter. I say film when I'm doing something more creative to give the client the idea that artistic means will be implemented such a lighting, composition, editing. It doesn't irk me, it's the evolution of words. Look at youtube. How many kids uploading on there really know where the "tube" part comes from in this world of flat screen technology?
Edward Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
So in the days of recording to flash we would
Video Flash
or
Flash
Hmm. Flash has a historic connotation that might not be particularly situtable...
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lawry View Post
I shoot things.

And im usually rolling - as i'd hope some kind of timecode would be rolling over.

"Did you get that?"

"yes i was rolling"

I also seem to be 'set' a lot.
That's interesting - you can use that in English, too? Because I was just going to say that in German we use "drehen" which means "to roll" or also, more literally "to rotate (sth.)" or "to turn (sth.)"
I guess that comes from the time when a lever had to be rotated by the camera operator to move the film.
We use it as a noun as well, "ein Dreh" (literally "a turn") and it is immediately understood by everybody as some kind of professional filming/videotaping - and in contrast to the English "a shoot" or "a shooting" it is clearly not still photography - for that we use the English term "photo shooting" or just "shooting" (as a noun). Weird, I can't even think of a German noun that would mean just that.

The verb "to shoot" is also used in its direct translation "schiessen" - but only for still photography.
I guess the language shows we have more of a history with film than with still photography.

By the way there's also the direct translation of the verb "to film" in German, it's "filmen". People tend to use it a lot for everything video - but not in the professional sector, not even when real film is used. Using this term immediately marks you as either being a hundred years old, or being an amateur.

Sorry for the OT excursion into linguistic philosophy, but language(s) in general fascinate me pretty much, I can't help it :)
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #24
Major Player

I've got into a bad habit of saying rolling. I think recording is still technically okay.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion