DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   What's the new lingo? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/196785-whats-new-lingo.html)

Ben Hogan April 14th, 2009 10:48 AM

What's the new lingo?

Now with everything moving to tapeless acquistion, what's the new terminology to call recording? I've found myself several times now trying to use something other than "videotaping" because I'm not using tape at all, but still find that slip of the tongue when describing it. I know it doesn't really matter and it's a general term everyone understands but I think there is need for a new simple word just as "videotape" to describe tapeless recording. You know "videotape" is great because it can be used as a noun and verb. I guess just plain video record works. Just sounds dull; I want one word. Just wondering if they'll be a new term to replace videotape(ing)? I'm probably being too anal about terminology or just wanting a cool new word to use. Has anyone thought of something clever yet?

Paul Kellett April 14th, 2009 11:22 AM

I just call it shooting, i went on a shoot, that was a good shot, i shot the bride and groom !! etc.

Paul.

Buba Kastorski April 14th, 2009 11:52 AM

it's been "shooting" for quite a while, to me it's still is :)

Andy Tejral April 14th, 2009 01:19 PM

Except you don't want to use that term if the Secret Service is around (also, its a directional microphone not a shotgun).

It irks me to death when people say 'film'.

I go with 'record'.

Ian Planchon April 14th, 2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Tejral (Post 1092518)

it used to bother me too, but then someone on a forum (this one, or B-roll, cant remember) pointed out the definition of the word "film": to direct, make, or otherwise engage in the production of motion pictures....ever since that, I havent been too bothered when people say that.

Marc Myers April 14th, 2009 02:35 PM

I have been using acquire for the process and media or images as a general term for stuff I acquire. I shoot a shotgun, not a camera.

Craig Seeman April 14th, 2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Tejral (Post 1092518)
Except you don't want to use that term if the Secret Service is around (also, its a directional microphone not a shotgun).

I go with 'record'.

Given some of the people I video, if I used the term shot I'd be pinned to the ground in milliseconds. Imagine walking into a room with a tripod bag (picture the shape now) and say "I'm here to shoot ...."

Nope, I'm not using that term in my crowd.

Bruno Demeocq April 14th, 2009 02:56 PM

French version

I shot the sheriff.... In French, we are using the word " je tourne " or " ça tourne " (camera operator answser to the director asking " moteur " and the next word is " Action ".
" ça tourne " of course is link to the film bobine which is turning as the videotape and not the solid memory but " la terre ne s'est pas arrêtée de tourner pour autant ".
Et voilà .... Waiting for the german response...

Kevin Wayne Jones April 14th, 2009 03:37 PM

I was "recording" on tape before, and now I'm "recording" on flash media.

It's all "recording" to me.

kj

Don Bloom April 14th, 2009 05:20 PM

Recording is a good all around term...I love "filming" when going to tape. Hmmmm. Shoot the bride and groom...Gotta be real careful with that. I shoot rifles and handguns, Although there have been a number of clients over the years that I would have liked to "shoot".
Ahh the terminology ;-)

John Hedgecoe April 14th, 2009 06:03 PM

I say Video Shoot, usually shortened to just Video.

Erik Phairas April 14th, 2009 06:39 PM

I use it all including "film". Knowing it irks someone makes me want to use it more often.

Mitchell Lewis April 14th, 2009 06:48 PM

I still say "shoot", but sometimes "filming" because it makes me feel more important. hehehe

Here's some interesting definitions of words I'd been using incorrectly for many years. I got this from Doug Jensen's EX3 training DVD.

Digitize = when you transfer video from analog tape (VHS, Beta) to a computer
Ingest = when you transfer digital video from tape (DV, DVCAM, HDV, etc...) to a computer
Capture = when you transfer digital video from media (P2, SxS, XDCAM, hard drive, etc...) to a computer

Maybe I'm a geek, but I found that interesting.

David Issko April 14th, 2009 06:50 PM

"Recording" is what I say when I am told to record by the director or if I am in charge, "I am recording". I do, however say "tape's holding" or "I'm holding tape" when the director calls "cut". Can't seem to get anything else to flow off the tongue.

Oh well David, keep practicing "my expensive sxs card has now stopped capturing the clip". I just got it! How about "clip's holding".

Buck Forester April 15th, 2009 12:06 AM

I usually say film, sometimes shoot, depending on the context. I like to say 'flick' a lot, it's fun. Let's make a flick out of it, or shoot a flick. WeeEEee! Chicks dig it too. I also record music, so saying 'record' has more audio connotations to me than video. I also tried the "get it on video" route for a bit but it doesn't have much of a ring. If everyone will be like me, we'll all be on the same page. Let the confusion cease.