What's the new lingo? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 14th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What's the new lingo?

Now with everything moving to tapeless acquistion, what's the new terminology to call recording? I've found myself several times now trying to use something other than "videotaping" because I'm not using tape at all, but still find that slip of the tongue when describing it. I know it doesn't really matter and it's a general term everyone understands but I think there is need for a new simple word just as "videotape" to describe tapeless recording. You know "videotape" is great because it can be used as a noun and verb. I guess just plain video record works. Just sounds dull; I want one word. Just wondering if they'll be a new term to replace videotape(ing)? I'm probably being too anal about terminology or just wanting a cool new word to use. Has anyone thought of something clever yet?
Ben Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Trustee

I just call it shooting, i went on a shoot, that was a good shot, i shot the bride and groom !! etc.

Paul.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #3
Trustee

it's been "shooting" for quite a while, to me it's still is :)
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Except you don't want to use that term if the Secret Service is around (also, its a directional microphone not a shotgun).

It irks me to death when people say 'film'.

I go with 'record'.
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
it used to bother me too, but then someone on a forum (this one, or B-roll, cant remember) pointed out the definition of the word "film": to direct, make, or otherwise engage in the production of motion pictures....ever since that, I havent been too bothered when people say that.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have been using acquire for the process and media or images as a general term for stuff I acquire. I shoot a shotgun, not a camera.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
Except you don't want to use that term if the Secret Service is around (also, its a directional microphone not a shotgun).

I go with 'record'.
Given some of the people I video, if I used the term shot I'd be pinned to the ground in milliseconds. Imagine walking into a room with a tripod bag (picture the shape now) and say "I'm here to shoot ...."

Nope, I'm not using that term in my crowd.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

French version

I shot the sheriff.... In French, we are using the word " je tourne " or " ça tourne " (camera operator answser to the director asking " moteur " and the next word is " Action ".
" ça tourne " of course is link to the film bobine which is turning as the videotape and not the solid memory but " la terre ne s'est pas arrêtée de tourner pour autant ".
Et voilà .... Waiting for the german response...
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I was "recording" on tape before, and now I'm "recording" on flash media.

It's all "recording" to me.

kj
Kevin Wayne Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Recording is a good all around term...I love "filming" when going to tape. Hmmmm. Shoot the bride and groom...Gotta be real careful with that. I shoot rifles and handguns, Although there have been a number of clients over the years that I would have liked to "shoot".
Ahh the terminology ;-)
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I say Video Shoot, usually shortened to just Video.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #12
Major Player

I use it all including "film". Knowing it irks someone makes me want to use it more often.
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #13
Trustee

I still say "shoot", but sometimes "filming" because it makes me feel more important. hehehe

Here's some interesting definitions of words I'd been using incorrectly for many years. I got this from Doug Jensen's EX3 training DVD.

Digitize = when you transfer video from analog tape (VHS, Beta) to a computer
Ingest = when you transfer digital video from tape (DV, DVCAM, HDV, etc...) to a computer
Capture = when you transfer digital video from media (P2, SxS, XDCAM, hard drive, etc...) to a computer

Maybe I'm a geek, but I found that interesting.
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #14
Major Player

"Recording" is what I say when I am told to record by the director or if I am in charge, "I am recording". I do, however say "tape's holding" or "I'm holding tape" when the director calls "cut". Can't seem to get anything else to flow off the tongue.

Oh well David, keep practicing "my expensive sxs card has now stopped capturing the clip". I just got it! How about "clip's holding".
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #15
Major Player

I usually say film, sometimes shoot, depending on the context. I like to say 'flick' a lot, it's fun. Let's make a flick out of it, or shoot a flick. WeeEEee! Chicks dig it too. I also record music, so saying 'record' has more audio connotations to me than video. I also tried the "get it on video" route for a bit but it doesn't have much of a ring. If everyone will be like me, we'll all be on the same page. Let the confusion cease.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion