Using a PD150 in Russia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 12th, 2004, 05:46 PM   #1
Tourist

Using a PD150 in Russia

Hey guys,

I'm looking to take my PD150 to Russia in a few months, and would like to know whether or not the cold will permanently damage the camera? The manual states that the lowest operating temperature is 0°C, but Russia will be colder than this. Also, changing environments: From cold streets, to warm cafe's etc may cause problems with condensation. However I have seen many PD150's used in cold environments.

Does anybody have any experience using the camera in similar conditions, or know of any precautions that I should take? Will condensation within the camera be a serious problem? I was planning to use the camera with a Sennheiser Me66. [As for securing the me66 in the pd150 holder, I've found a strip cut from a foam mouse mat works well as padding.

I have seen the Portabrace coats for camera's which keep them warm but I cannot afford one, especially for a 4 day trip.

Thanks a lot!

Mark Kingham
Mark Kingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #2
Wrangler

Mark,

This is a generic question as the answer applies to any camera. I'm moving the thread to a make certain you get the maximum exposure for your question.

Call Sony's Pro support and ask them what the minimum Storage temperature is for the camera. Beyond that is where permanent damage will occur.
Old January 13th, 2004, 02:00 AM   #3
Major Player

"In a few months..." would be at least two, wouldn't it? What makes you think it will be so cold in Russia by mid-March? Whereabouts are you heading anyway?

I'd say keep you batteries warm and your camera dry. The cold won't bother it. If you're going somewhere really cold (Nova Scotia and beyond) call up the proper department at BBC (the one that works for David Attenborough) and ask what they do with their cameras in the cold. Also get some tips on how to protects yourself from nuclear radiation.

Seriously - I think the only problem would be rapid changes from outside dry cold to inside humid warmth. Plan your days and shots so you stay in one type of environment at the time.

If you can't afford a portabrace - get an old sweater from OxFam or something - cut it up and tape it together so it will cover your camera.
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 02:27 AM   #4
Tourist

Hey thanks for the quick replies!

I am going to be traveling in and around Moscow and St Petersburg on the trip. I am going at the begining of April.

Well, I was intending on getting a portabrace rain cover before then anyway so will take that with me, just not the padded jacket.

I had been told that the temperatures would be just below zero, unless anyone know's different? Am I worrying for nothing?
Mark Kingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 03:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Usually temperature does'nt go below zero in that time of year in Moscow and Peterburg.
We have tried 150 in -15 degrees Celsius, worked fine. The only things are that battery gets exhausted much quicker, and entering into warm place from cold can cause condensation. So there's not much to worry about. Some kind of rain cover would be good to have.

Margus
Margus Kivilaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 03:47 AM   #6
Major Player

pd 150 in low temperature - poland's expirience

hi,

i'm posting from poland.

i worked with pd 150 pal version in very low temperature conditions approx -20°C, but the only issue was the BATTERIES, they went off imediatelly. so if you have the possibility to plug your camera to AC power via POWER ADAPTOR - you are ok.
remember about AC voltage in moscow - so if you need - buy proper converter. if you can't plug into the wall with the power adaptor - use the biggest (capacity) batteries as you can find!

in my opinion - you will need at least 20 to 40 minutes to start work without problems in interior after the shooting outside.
i think that temperature is not the key problem in moscow, but the humidity!!!
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Its the condensation after moving from very cold environments to warm ones fast that the companies are most worried about I think, just be sure to do a gradual transition or something if moving from very cold to warm fast.
Tim Frank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion