I'm going to Mexico! I need some ideas... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 17th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Im going to Mexico! I need some ideas...

Im roadtriping WA down to Mexico city, Guadalajara and the Aztec ruins with some friends. I want to take my cam but dont have any real idea about what I should shoot, so any ideas or anything newsworthy happening down there in July? It should be interesting to say the least.

Any ideas would be great,

John
Old January 17th, 2004, 07:06 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

John,

San Miguel de Allende, Islas Mujeres and Playa del Carmen are places you might want to read about and consider. There's also a train that will take you through "Copper Canyon" which has some pectacular scenery and is an interesting way to crossover from Texas. I believe it starts in Laredo.
Old January 17th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #3
Wrangler

Them be mainly Mayan ruins I think.

The main sites are great for videography but there is precious little moving except tourists. Everything is stone. Unless you are going to do a Ken Burns approach, zooming and panning all the time, stills almost do as well IMHO. But I'm imagination-poor anyway.

Now if you get into the scuba diving down there, the underwater views are spectacular around Cozumel.

Take some gear to protect your gear from humidity and unbelievable rain.

When I was there, I hired a guide from the National Tourist organization. Relatively inexpensive, these licensed guides took us in their cars out to the ruins and gave us a great tour complete with a lot of info. And on the way to and from, they dropped by Mayan villages and we did meet some very interesting people.

Most particulary, at one place, they brough out a Jaguar kit that was a very cute fur-ball with sharp little teeth and claws! Right away we were trying to figure out how to smuggle it back to the states.

If you are traveling from Washington, be certain to drive part of the way on Highway 1 in California. Just from Santa Cruz to Santa Barbara would do it. You will see some of the most spectacular coastline in the world, have a chance to visit Carmel and San Simeon and a few very nice national parks as well.
Old January 17th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Alright, that sounds cool...hmm Jaguar kitten smuggling. lol, might make a good movie!

Good info John & Mike, thanks!

John
Old January 18th, 2004, 03:44 AM   #5
Trustee

Don't forget the Immodium.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2004, 03:48 AM   #6
Outer Circle

...and plenty of bottled water.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:19 AM   #7
New Boot

Hey John.
Try picking up a lonely planet guide. has a list of all the festivals and interesting things to see etc etc...
I drove the Pan American from Colorado to the tip of Chile....there are are some great little towns all along the coast of Mexico.
My advice...get away from the touristy places and film the REAL Mexico
Good Traveling!
Cameron
Cameron Stainton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion