DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   I was wondering how to go about on digital photography conversion... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/20089-i-wondering-how-go-about-digital-photography-conversion.html)

David Ho January 20th, 2004 02:33 AM

I was wondering how to go about on digital photography conversion...

Ok, so I understand that some camcorders have the ability to take digital stills and photos onto a digital card. Then I believe these cards can be hooked up to the computer for viewing or printing via FireWire or USB cables/ports. Now, is there a way to put back onto the actual photos print they use? Like the actual rectangular photos with a different feel (non-paper like) where you take your roll of film from a camera to the shop?

Brian Huey January 20th, 2004 04:08 AM

A lot (maybe even most) photo stores have the ability to take photos directly off of the digital memory card. They can put into their machine and print off the photos you want in the size you want on photo paper like you'd get from a film camera. However, most camcorders that take stills are under 2 mega pixels so you'll probably want to limit the size of the prints to 4"x5".

Cheers,
Huey

David Ho January 20th, 2004 04:13 AM

Would it look bad if it was regular size? I have a GL2 which is 1.7 MP.

Brian Huey January 20th, 2004 04:51 AM

I think that it would look fine at a standard size such as a 4x6 print (that's what I was thinking of when I put 4x5 in the previous post). I would take a photo with the GL2 and take to a photo shop and get it printed at the size you want to see how it looks, or get it printed at a few different sizes to see how large you can go with good quality.

I have a GL2 also and would love to hear what your findings are so report back if you get some printed off!

Cheers,
Brian

David Ho January 20th, 2004 05:35 AM

This is off topic, btw... I notice in your profile you use a M20 tripod. How is it? I am thinking of getting one as most people w/ the GL2 recommend that tripod. As of now, I have a Velbon Videomate 607 ($70) which I believe is inadequate and may soon break down due to cheap materials. :-)

Brian Huey January 20th, 2004 05:47 AM

Libec M20

I just got it a week ago and used it on Saturday to film a friend's wedding. I'm happy with how it performed, but it did take quite a bit of concentration to make smooth pans and tilts, and towards the end of the wedding (it was nearly an hour long, almost ran out of tape!) I think my performance began to slip a bit. I was zoomed a long ways in most of the time and the moves weren't perfect but it did do a good job about what I expected. It is sturdy with the GL2 and the dual tube legs give it a professional look to observers. For static shots and limited movement (or being willing to redo a move if you jerk it a bit)it is great. I don't think you'll be able to do much better until stepping up to the $800 range and products such as the Miller DS-5.

Cheers,
Brian