New Century Optics Anamorphic adapters - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 24th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Nicholi,
So, are you saying that the new adapter does indeed give you a wider angle of view? If so, that's great news. I confess, I'm apparently too dense to follow your thread.

On the older adapter that I have, yeah, your zoom range is very limited. I have yet to do some resolution tests, but the image clearly loses focus at one half of the zoom range on my GL1. I'm sure it occurs much sooner than that, but you just can't tell because of the lousy resolution of the LCD. I never zoom more than a quarter of the way. Personally, I don't find it a problem. If I need to zoom, I just move closer. The lens has little distortion at full wide, and almost none at all at a quarter zoom. It's much better than the WD-58. The extra flexibility of a zoom-through adapter would be nice, but photographers have been "making the shot" with fixed focal length lenses for years. I've even met photographers who think zooms are for dopes.

On the vignetting -- it is possible with the century. It showed up in some footage that I shot a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't been able to reproduce it. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the aperature, or if it came from the lens hood. It's kind of a mystery at this point. Normally, there's no vignetting, even at full wide. In any case, it's outside of the picture area.

By the way, autofocus works fine with this lens. I mention it, because I had held off buying a 16:9 adapter, because I thought it would require having a monitor in the field. You can also apparently zoom all the way in, let the focus lock on (it'll still look fuzzy), put it on manual and zoom back out. As I said, I've yet to do a resolution test, but it sure seems to work.

As far as composing with the image squished and all, you get used to it. Even though its squished, since objects in the image are distorted proportionally, it's possible to compose the shot. Century makes a gadget that attaches to the viewfinder and lets you see the image in its correct aspect, but the GL1 had a manufacturing defect that makes the viewfinders finicky, and I would never put any weight on it for fear of shorting it out.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #17
Major Player

I was referring specifically to aspect ratio (horizontal : vertical), not focal length.
Normal lenses change the focal length of both horizontal and vertical planes at equal increments (spherical). For anamorphic, the compression will only be on one plane, while the other plane remains uneffected (cylindrical). Technically this would be a change in focal length (wider) only on the horizontal plane. That's why everything looks tall and thin. It seems as though they are measuring in terms of how much fits on the screen as opposed to focal length of the lens.
That's just an explanation of the anamorphic lens, but I think you may be asking something different.
It sounds like you're asking about a comparison between the regular widescreen adaptor and the new full-zoom adaptor. If you mean wider aspect ratio, no. Both are 16:9 or 1.78:1 ratio widescreen adaptors. If you're asking about shorter focal length, Century Optics are the only ones with information as to how their adaptors influence overall focal length. At least until someone tests it out.
Old January 24th, 2004, 04:29 PM   #18
Trustee

How long has this adaper been on the market? Are
there any user reviews/feedback that anyone
knows about?
Would anyone expect any light loss with this lens?
I wouldn't think so.
Marco, does yours have good sharpness in the
first half of the zoom range?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 11:48 PM   #19
Inner Circle

As I said, I don't zoom past one quarter, but yeah, sharp as hell.
Old January 31st, 2004, 10:02 AM   #20
Major Player

Still no user reports/feedback on this new 1.33x adaptor? The price is very steep but the full-zoom through is a huge bonus on the old one.

For run and gun hand-held, how does focus on the old 16:9 adaptor perform?

BH has the new adaptor listed as back-ordered, stating 2-4weeks delivery, but it's been about 2 months now. What's the story there?
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2004, 02:37 PM   #21
Trustee

Have you checked EVS? ZGC is a good company.
I've personally had good dealings with them.
I'd go with them over B&H from a customer
service point of view.
I'm surprised no one is coming out with their
thoughts on the new adapter, seeing as it is out of stock. I may be needing to get one myself.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2004, 03:27 PM   #22
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Largent : I'm surprised no one is coming out with their thoughts on the new adapter, seeing as it is out of stock. -->>>

That could also mean they haven't received ANY of them yet...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2004, 05:34 PM   #23
Inner Circle

"For run and gun hand-held, how does focus on the old 16:9 adaptor perform?"

I shot a wedding reception with it and didn't have any focus problems. It may be a little slower, but the difference is slight enough that it's hard to tell, at least for me.
Old January 31st, 2004, 10:53 PM   #24
Major Player

Marco Leavitt.

You mean you had the camera on auto focus with the 16:9 adaptor on and didn't much focus hunting issues?

(I shot a wedding reception with it and didn't have any focus problems. It may be a little slower, but the difference is slight enough that it's hard to tell, at least for me.)
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:00 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Right. You can't manually focus with the GL1 viewfinder with or without the adapter. Autofocus works just fine with the adapter. It also seems possible to zoom in way past the focus range, let the autofocus lock on, put in on manual, and zoom back out. I actually think this lens is very good for run and gun, because you can't zoom to much anyway when you're handholding a camcorder or using a monopod because the shot would be too shaky.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:43 PM   #26
Trustee

I contacted one of the sponsors and received the
reply that Century has not released the lens yet
and, despite the distributor contacting Century
weekly regarding when it will be out, Cenury
is not able to give any estimation.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion