THis could bite the Sony PD170 & VX-2100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:05 PM   #1
Wrangler

THis could bite the Sony PD170 & VX-2100

Panny Press release

Panasonic's New AG-DVC30 Camcorder Coming In March
February 02, 2004
Secaucus, NJ - Panasonic has introduced the AG-DVC30, a highly-versatile 3-CCD Mini-DV camcorder.

This ultra-compact, 2.4-pound camcorder delivers the high picture quality and high sensitivity professionals demand as well as inventive features including infrared nighttime and movie-like recording modes, the manufacturer reports.

Equipped with three 410,000-pixel ¼” CCDs, the AG-DVC30 offers four shooting styles – a simple, sleek configuration (resembling a consumer camcorder) for “no permits required” or undercover shooting; with its standard detachable handle and large 3.5” LCD monitor, it’s perfect for low- and multi-angle shooting; with the addition of its optional XLR mic adaptor and unidirectional mic, it’s outfitted for high-level pro audio performance; and by adding its optional infrared light, the camera can capture detailed black-and-white images in the dark (at 0 lux).

“The AG-DVC30 has been designed for videographers who demand the very best image quality, combined with absolute mobility,” said Stuart English, Vice President, Marketing, Panasonic Broadcast. “Its innovative features and economical price will make it attractive to a broad range of professionals, from law enforcement officers to sports videographers, wedding photographers and video journalists.”

The AG-DVC30 is equipped with a newly-engineered, wide-angle 16X Leica Dicomar zoom lens with Optical Image Stabilizer (OIS) and a focal length of 39.5 to 632 mm (35mm still camera equivalent) to meet virtually any broadcast and professional need. The new lens has low-dispersion glass to substantially reduce chromatic aberration, flare and ghosting. For sports applications, the 16X high-speed optical zoom takes only one second to transition between wide and telephoto modes.

First 3-CCD Mini-DV Camcorder to Offer Infrared Recording
The AG-DVC30 is the world’s first 3-CCD camcorder to offer Super Night Shooting (SNS) recording in black-and-white. Its built-in infrared capabilities supports near-field acquisition; and with the addition of its optional IR light, recording distance is extended for remote surveillance applications. In IR mode, the camcorder allows professionals to view people
or objects in complete darkness.

The AG-DVC30 includes digital stamping of date and time into the image, an especially useful feature for legal depositions, court reporting, surveillance monitoring and evidence gathering.

The unit’s full range of automatic controls includes focus, iris, white balance and neutral density. Its AUTO/MANUAL button permits easy switching between manual and full auto. The camcorder’s large focus ring provides for smooth operation of focus, zoom or iris (menu selectable). It offers easy viewing with an electronic viewfinder and large 3.5” color LCD monitor.

Movie-Like Recording Mode and Rugged, Magnesium Alloy Body
The AG-DVC30 provides a movie-like mode that combines a cine-style gamma curve and a 30-fps frame recording function that electronically interpolates interlaced images to create frames, producing images that are remarkably film-like. The camcorder also offers a Lumi Flick menu item for generating an old-time movie effect. Its slow shutter function uses image accumulation to allow shutter speeds of up to one-fourth the normal frame rate for higher sensitivity in color recording. The show shutter can also be used to capture artistic motion effects.

The feature-packed unit offers three user-settable buttons and four scene files featuring control of detail, chroma level, chroma phase, color temperature, master pedestal, AE shift and skin detail. Top-quality professional audio functions include a two-channel, two-color audio level meter that is displayed in the viewfinder and LCD, an (optional) XLR microphone adapter with +48V phantom power; and level controls (CH1/CH2).
With its rugged, die-cast magnesium alloy construction, the AG-DVC30 has a solid, well-balanced body that professional bodybuilders would envy. Its removable handle conforms neatly to the hand and is positioned at the AG-DVC30’s center of gravity for optimum balance.

The camcorder allows back-up recording by another DV recording device via its IEEE 1394 interface using the DV synchro function.

Its impressive list of standard features also includes synchro-scan shutter recording (1/60.3 – 1/250 sec.), a built-in SMPTE time code generator/reader, and SMPTE- compliant color bar display and recording,

The AG-DVC30 will be available in March at a suggested list price of $2,595. The optional Infrared light (model AG-YRL30G) has a suggested list price of $380.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:19 PM   #2
Wrangler

This has already been the subject of a lot of speculation. Physically, it looks strikingly like the PDX-10. The CCD's are also similar in size, but lower resolution so it can't do real 16:9. But the low light abilities sound good, and it does look like a nice camera.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:19 PM   #3
Major Player

There's been a fair amount of chatter here re: the DVC30 -- it sounds like an OK cam, but I think that I already bought the 170/2100 "biter" with the DVC80. That extra zoom sounds nice, but I much prefer the DVC80's built-in XLR inputs and phantom power. I think the DVC80 could be used in almost any broadcast situation the 150/170 is currently used.

(In fact, I swear that the J-school students in town have started getting DVC80s instead of PD150s from their instructors. I'm still trying to get a professor on the phone to verify this...)

Plus I bought my DVC80 for less than the DVC30's suggested retail price!
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:30 PM   #4
Contributor

A 1/4" chip camcorder isn't in the same league with the PD170/VX2100/DVX100/XL1s/JVC-GY300. It's more competitive with the GL2 and TRV950.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

where cani get some pics of this cam
Joel Ruggiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 11:20 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Joel

See http://panasonic.biz/sav/camera/ag-dvc30/ag-dvc30.html

More discussion in our Pana forum at this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=17198

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 11:37 PM   #7
Major Player

Looks like the GL2 has some serious competition! Nevertheless, I still favor and love my GL2!
Old February 6th, 2004, 10:44 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Since the retail is $2600, what do you expect the "discount" sites on eBay to have it for, maybe even B&H Photo. I'm not too sure how fast things are discounted after their release. I know you can find a $2999 GL2 for about $2200 or less.
Tim Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #9
Wrangler

If only the DVC30 had the 16:9 of the PDX10.

Of course in the same light..

If only the PDX10 had the frame mode of the DVC30.

and more of the same.

If only my GS100 had the low light of the DVC30
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion