DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Need advice for assembling stuff needed to make video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/21054-need-advice-assembling-stuff-needed-make-video.html)

Tim West February 8th, 2004 07:37 PM

Need advice for assembling stuff needed to make video

Hi all.

I bought a 1.8 Dual G5 last year with the intent on learning how to make my own videos such as political commercials/opinion pieces. So far I have:

1.8 Dual G5 with 1GB RAM

Final Cut Express 1.01 ( yes, I know 2.0 is out - I'll upgrade at some point )

so I have the computer and the software. I need a camera of course. But what I need mostly is advice from those who have been doing this.

How good a cam do I need? What kind of audio setup? I have a excellent background in electronics and still photography for over 20 years.

Do I need any kind of a hardware DV box like the Formac DV stuff? I want to use the videos in all areas, the soundtrack is for radio airplay, plus the video is for TV airplay, and putting onto websites.

So beside my G5 and the software what do I need to get for assembling 15 and 30 second spots for radio and TV airing? Can I get by with a consumer level camera or do I have to grab something like a Canon XL-1? I dont have unlimited funds so cost is an issue, but I'll pay for something that I have to have no problem.

Thanks for your help.

Adrian Douglas February 9th, 2004 07:50 AM

For what you want I'd be looking at the Panasonic DVC-80, PD-170 or even a VX2100, or finally the XL1s/GL2. On top of these cameras you'll need a good mic set-up, the Sennheiser Me-66 shotgun is a popular and cost effective option for this kind of work. A wireless lav system would also be a good idea. From there you want to look at lighting as bad lighting can make even the best camera look like a handycam. That's a good place to start and I'm sure people will chime in with more advice. Good luck.

Tim West February 9th, 2004 12:00 PM

Thanks

thanks for the response, I'll check out your recommendations. Looking forward toi see how well my still photography "eye" translates into video!

Many more related ?'s to come in other areas here I'm sure......

Joe Gioielli February 10th, 2004 12:39 PM

Azden makes decent boom mics, not the same as a senni, but it may be easier on the budget.

Lighting you can go high or go low. Don't be afraid to check out home centers and hardware stores. You can get lighting gel from Roscoe to improve the color of the light.

Lighting is still important, but video gives a lot more lattitude. Not as pickey as film.

As far as cams go, well, you get into coke vs pepsi thing quickly. Any decent 3 ccd cam will do a good job. I have a Sony VX2000 and it is very nice. esp. in low light. I think the PD 150 is a little over proced for what you get, but that's just me. People love this cam.

You may want to look at the higher end Canons, like the XL1. It is my understanding they are more like film cams, the have changable lenses. It you are going to be shooting films on set, that could be a great advantage. If you are going to go Canon, go all the way.

Panasonic has a 3ccd that shoots at 24 fps that a lot of people think is the bee's knees. It's supposed to look more like film, but that is a subjective point. We're I to buy another cam, I would give this one a long look.

I have heard mixed reviews on the prosumer grade hddv. I've never seen anything shot with one.

You won't go wrong with any 3 ccd. Just don't spend less $2500 and you'll be fine. ;-)

BTW- I tend to shop B+H alot.

Good luck
Joe

Glenn Chan February 10th, 2004 07:08 PM

From what I've read, the Panasonic cameras (DVX100, DVC80, etc.) are excellent. I'm not sure what Sony cameras offer over them. The Panasonic according to Adam Wilt is just as good in low light. The Panasonic DVX100 has better video and audio than the PD150 and VX2000/21000. After the DVX100 you run into diminishing returns. Much more expensive cameras will be able to pull focus, have more depth of field, better manual controls, slightly better video. You don't need any of those.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with any of these cameras. You might even want to consider something that cost less than those cameras, since you might find the quality from cheaper 3CCD cameras to be pretty decent. Video quality isn't too important compared to content. And you still need to spend money on other aspects, especially sound. If you can't hear the dialogue then it doesn't matter how good your story is.

Quote:

Lighting is still important, but video gives a lot more lattitude. Not as pickey as film.
Film has more latitude.

Bill Pryor February 10th, 2004 09:52 PM

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know where you got that quote, but the exact opposite is true.

Tim West February 10th, 2004 09:56 PM

Thanks for the responses. I would prefer to have a balanced setup rather than go for the super expensive camera only to find that all I can afford for mics is a Ronco Mr. Microphone. :D

I am looking up everything thats mentioned and taking copious mental notes.

Joe Gioielli February 11th, 2004 11:53 AM

Dear Glenn and Bill,

I just meant in the " how much light will I need to get some kind of image." sense of the term.

In July I did duel shooting with a movie camera and a video camera and I was amazed at how much brighter the video stock was (all settings being the same).

Thanks for helping clear up my misspeak.