DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   NTSC/PAL and DVD regions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/219235-ntsc-pal-dvd-regions.html)

Tyler Graas April 20th, 2009 12:31 PM

NTSC/PAL and DVD regions

I want to confirm my thoughts.

I'm to provide a DVD for a client to send to Europe and he wanted ntsc/pal formats of the video...as far as i can remember, as long as i have the DVD set to "all regions" the shooting format does not matter and there will be no problems...is this correct?

Stelios Christofides April 25th, 2009 10:21 PM

Tyler
You can either record in PAL or NTSC. Now the DVD you make will also be either PAL or NTSC, it can not be both. Your friend in Europe must have a DVD player that can play both systems. Most DVD players sold here have this facility. Mine does.

Stelios

Steve House April 26th, 2009 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Graas (Post 1116573)
I want to confirm my thoughts.

I'm to provide a DVD for a client to send to Europe and he wanted ntsc/pal formats of the video...as far as i can remember, as long as i have the DVD set to "all regions" the shooting format does not matter and there will be no problems...is this correct?

The region settings aren't related to the video format except by coincidence.

Stelios Christofides April 26th, 2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 1133400)
The region settings aren't related to the video format except by coincidence.

Steve, I have never seen a region 1 in PAL format. Is it possible then to have a PAL format in region 1? and do you have a setting in your NLE program to burn a DVD in different regions?

Stelios

Andrew Smith April 26th, 2009 05:00 PM

Steve,

The region setting isn't related to the format of the video. It's purely an artificial thing to restrict sales of DVDs to various regions for release timing and pricing reasons.

Recommend that you author your DVDs with no region code setting, producing an unrestricted disc. Also, produce both PAL and NTSC versions of these DVDs.

Andrew

Steve House April 27th, 2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides (Post 1133489)
Steve, I have never seen a region 1 in PAL format. Is it possible then to have a PAL format in region 1? and do you have a setting in your NLE program to burn a DVD in different regions?

Stelios

AFAIK, there's no reason you couldn't burn a Region 1 DVD in a PAL format or a Region 2 in NTSC. It might not make any sense to do it but that's another story. What I understood the initial question to be was does burning it for a specific region also automatically set the video format and AFAIK it does not. For that matter, Region 2 includes countries using all three formats. PAL, SECAM, and NTSC while Region 4, Mexico and South America, includes contries using both PAL and NTSC.

Bill Engeler April 29th, 2009 12:17 PM

As Stelios said, the DVD will either be PAL or NTSC; you can't mix them on the same disk (at least for normal DVD format, data DVDs are another story). You will notice in your authoring program that you have to make this choice, one or the other, before you build the DVD.

Regional codes are nothing to worry about, they have no connection to the content, just something added to commercial DVDs for commercial reasons. Your authoring program may or may not allow you to add this to your DVD, but there is no reason you would want to do this.

The bottom line is to send your client one NTSC DVD, and one PAL DVD.