color correction at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 7th, 2004, 01:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

color correction

can somebody please explain exactly what is done during color correction? Sounds like a silly question, but i really don't get it. And do you need to color correct with something like de Vinci or do the NLE's like Premiere work well enough (+/- After Effects). and if they ARE good enough, what exactly do you do... or how do i learn?

thanks.
Josef Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 07:47 AM   #2
Trustee

Josef,

I use Vixen with Premiere 6.5 for color correction. Mainly to adjust white balance. I know most most say get it right when you film it. However, sometimes it is just not possible and you need to tweak things a little in post. I to, wished some way to learn how to do it right but couldn't find any good resources although the user guide with Vixen was somewhat helpful explaning what each adjustment does and how not to screw things up.

What I found worked best for me is experiment with the correction controls till you see what you like and what looks natural. Be sure to view it on an NTSC monitor if that is the format the finished product is to be displayed on. I think color correction is something you have to do a lot of to get good at it. Maybe some of the other forum members can give more insight into this.

You might want to try the Vixen demo at http://www.xentrik.co.uk/

Good Luck....

Mark W.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quick answers to deep questions.

You "need" to color correct to make sure color and IRE levels are "Broadcast safe" if going to broadcast.

You need to color correct to make shots match from scene to scene or camera to camera

In short - you need to color correct to make color corrections... however you perceive them to be needed.

To learn your systems tools, read the manual, buy instructional videos, take a course and practice practice practice.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Like Richard said, color correction is used to fix broadcast levels, and to develop neutrality between scenes (or diff. cam angles) that otherwise might not be seamless.

Color correction is often used to either emulate film look, or to just tweak color levels to add to the user experiences (for example, maybe adding a slight blue cast to make a dramatic scene have a "cold" feeling).
Adam Burtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 02:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

And another very good reason to colour correct is to fix the colour changes that happen when you key out a green or blue background.

You ask if this can be done in Premiere? You might also try finding a second hand copy of Pinnacle Edition (I see a couple on ebay) - I know I usually spit knives about Pinnacle, but Edition Liquid has a colour corrector that's the dogz bollix.

Regards,

Julian
Julian Luttrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion