DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Start up gear? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/22768-start-up-gear.html)

James Sudik March 11th, 2004 03:09 PM

Start up gear?

I have compiled a list of equipment I believe will be in-line with what is needed to start up a part-time videography buisness. This list does not include editing hard/software (I have that), and I also already have a "workable" #2 cam (Sony TRV19) and support for that. My plan is to spend about 6 months learning the new gear, and improving technique. I also have a few events lined up (Wedding, etc) that I will be shooting at cost, for practice (These are friends and other folks that were not planning on video regardless) I have done a lot of hobbyist shooting and editing with consumer level gear. I know opinions vary on brands and such, but I am most curious about things I have completely overlooked (due to my inexpierience). Thanks for taking the time to read this, and yes, I have researced these forums thoroughly for input previously :)

Canon GL2
WD-58H
Tiffen 58 Lens kit (4 lens standard variety)
Libec M20 tripod
Canon ZR-1000 remote
Varizoom Flowpod VZ-FPK
Hard case (Cases plus)
Samson Airline Presentation kit (wireless lav)
Samson Airline Combo (another lav + xlr plug)
AT 897 shotgun mic
Lightwave EQ106 mic cover
XLR Pro
HOSA- 2ft & 25ft xlr cables
LIC941 Lenmar 7.5 batt.
Canon VL10i light
Hoodman LCD hood
NRG trimount
TecNec MiniDV rewinder

I humbly ask your input and suggestions. Thanks.

Nick Jushchyshyn March 11th, 2004 03:36 PM

What about final output gear?
Not everyone is going to want DVD or miniDV (assuming that's what you've got)

You should at least have a professional grade VHS/SVHS recorder.
A consumer VCR with RCA composit inputs is not likely to produce professional results.
It's also good to at least have access to Beta recording equipment if you plan on doing any commercial (not just TV ads, but corporate training etc.)
Don't need to own it, just know where to rent/borrow it when needed so you can say "Yes, I can provide that." when asked.

Some lighting gear would also be useful for corporate style work.

Have fun.

Mike Rehmus March 11th, 2004 04:05 PM

Re: Start up gear?

<<<-- Originally posted by James Sudik :

Canon GL2
WD-58H
Tiffen 58 Lens kit (4 lens standard variety)

Make certain this kit is made with crystal-clear glass. They have a line of filters that are made with green glass.

Libec M20 tripod

You will never be able to get this tripod head to pan correctly. When the lock is loose enough to allow smooth movement, the head will rock. If you tighten it enough to prevent the rock, you will have very jerky starts to the pan.

For fixed or tilt-only work, it is a nice tripod package.

I humbly ask your input and suggestions. Thanks. -->>>

I don't think you need a pro VHS deck. I have both pro and $70 Panasonics and there is very little difference in the recorded signal. I'd spend the delta between a competent deck and the pro deck for a nice industrial NTSC monitor or a small set of near-field monitor speakers.