DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Wireless Video Transmitters (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/22945-wireless-video-transmitters.html)

Bankim Jain March 15th, 2004 08:30 AM

Wireless Video Transmitters

Hi all have you ever used any portable wireless video transmtter systems for shoot in live stage shows etc. !!!

Ed Smith March 15th, 2004 02:11 PM

bankim,

Please do a search, this type of topic has come up many times.

Or

If you want specific detail please specify.

Cheers,
Ed

Bankim Jain March 15th, 2004 03:02 PM

Well if anyoe knows about www.shotwatcher.com pls inform me on its output quality. Or if there are any similar priced equipment for wireless video transfer !!!

Rick Bravo March 15th, 2004 03:22 PM

Check out: http://www.lairdtelemedia.com/produc...dcam.html#WAVE

We just ordered one and are anxiously awaiting delivery.

RB

Bankim Jain March 15th, 2004 03:51 PM

Hi Rick,

It shallbe nice if you could update me with the quality of its output once you try out the same, May i also know your intended use for such a system. AS for us we intened to use for live video displays of stage shows on our video walls.

Rick Bravo March 15th, 2004 05:44 PM

We have various uses.

In regular production, it would allow me to watch what is being shot as it happens, much like a video assist unit during a film shoot if I happen to be directing and not operating the camera.

Our producers can also watch in the same manner, helping with script notes on set instead of having to watch it cold, later on. Even more useful if you are recording on a clamshell deck like we have, a SONY Mini-DV. Now you can also safely play your shot back without having to rewind the original tape in the camera, thus risking erasing previously shot footage.

In a tactical situation, it would allow us to send a picture back to a Command Post where it can be viewed by field commanders.

RB

Dean Sensui March 15th, 2004 08:40 PM

I tried a Shotwatcher with a Canon XL1 and XL1s but the transmitter caused audio problems with those cameras. I reluctantly had to return it.

I also tried a Vostek transmitter but the same problem developed.

Picture quality is OK for short distances and is great as a reference for a producer or someone logging shots. A similar setup is used on the PBS series This Old House. There was a video showing how the program is produced and the director carried a handheld Casio TV and talked to the cameraman via a small radio.

I kept the Vostek and the handheld Casio TV so I can use it when I eventually upgrade to a different camera. The only time I used the Casio otherwise was to let my wife watch the Superbowl while we were out fishing on the boat.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions.

Bankim Jain March 16th, 2004 12:04 AM

Hi Dean,

Good to hear you again on my query. The ShotWatcher ppl admits to the inherent problem when used with Canon XL series...

BTW was the visual quality good enough (say within a radius of 500mtrs) to be used for live telecast on large screens from live stage shows. I am tlking in case of a multi camera shots.

Oe thought jus popped in my mind since these wireless transmitters use UHF to travel cant we use any wireless device like i have Evolution 100 fom schniesser to transmit video instead of audio any takers on tis view !!!

Isint thee any site which teches us to make our own little transmitter s& recievers cx it not tht big a device which we cant assemble at home !

Cheers !

Dean Sensui March 16th, 2004 06:49 PM

Hi Bankim...

I was the guy who discovered the problem with the Shotwatcher and XL1, and the guy who developed it was able to confirm it with another XL1. Too bad -- I really liked the Shotwatcher and really could use it for some of the work I do.

500 meters would be out of range for this particular transmitter. I didn't use it a lot but the working range I tested was about 20 meters as I didn't need to go any further than that.

You'd need to get a much more powerful transmitter and work in a band that's legal for that particular application. In the case of the Shotwatcher and similar transmitters, the output power is purposely kept low to avoid interfering with any other sets that might be in the vicinity.

Not sure how it works in India but you'd have to find out what frequency range is used for video transmission and get the appropriate gear.

Be aware that you might experience dropouts with lower-powered transmitters and that antenna location and orientation may be an important issue to deal with.

As for transmitting video with a radio mic system, I would guess that anything is possible. But the amount of work it would take to make it functional might be staggering.

Good luck!
Dean.

Bankim Jain March 30th, 2004 10:33 AM

Has anyone been lucky to have used a Wireless Audio transmitter & reciever to transmit VIDEO signal on board !

Bankim Jain March 30th, 2004 10:33 AM

Has anyone been lucky to have used a Wireless Audio transmitter & reciever to transmit VIDEO signal on board !

Greg Boston April 8th, 2004 07:06 PM

Bankim,

The video bandwidth is much too wide to be transmitted by units designed for audio work. A wireless mic system only needs to be able to modulate a carrier wave at a maximum of around 20khz.

Video, on the other hand (NTSC standards) can go as high as 6 mhz. You might get it to work, but you would lose a lot of detail which is what creates the higher frequencies in the signal.

good luck.

Bankim Jain April 9th, 2004 12:44 AM

Thanks Greg, for the info....it seems that there will be useless disturbance created to my Wireless Audio system for this experiment.

:o(

Jack Celli April 9th, 2004 03:36 PM

Wireless video senders

We have used them to cover high school football game for a cable access station..
The best results came from a 100 dollar unit bought at RADIO SHACK 2.4 gig
we attach the transmitter to a pole and wire it into the video out of our canon gl1. one person keeps the antena aimed at the reciver which is gaf taped to another pole near the press box...
all you tech heads will gasp at the sidleine shots we get rom this 100 dollar setup....
simple ...sweet.... easy...cheap
and it works
peace
jack celli

Greg Boston April 10th, 2004 05:02 PM

Jack,

Thanks for the info on the Radio Shack wireless video stuff. My reply to Bankim was based on him wanting to use a wireless AUDIO unit to send VIDEO.

Your set up may well work for what he needs. Your method is not unlike what I have seen the networks do when they cover golf. Camera has a 50 to 100ft cable going to a guy who aims a microwave transmitter at one of three receivers up on those high cranes you sometimes see in the background.

I may go get one of those myself. Can't go too wrong for $100.

regards,