DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Lens cleaning questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/23204-lens-cleaning-questions.html)

Jim Mace March 19th, 2004 04:36 PM

Lens cleaning questions

Members,

I have recently received a GL2, and I was curious as to what is the best way and/or cleaning kit to use to clean my camcorders glass?

Frank Granovski March 19th, 2004 09:09 PM

Blow, to remove any particles, breathe on it to steam it up, then wipe gently with a lens cleaning cloth.

Graham Bernard March 20th, 2004 12:20 AM

. . .keep filter on lens . .. clean .. when too scratchy for use throw away . . cheaper than lens replace by a factor of 'bout 1000% - yeah?

Grazie

Marco Leavitt March 20th, 2004 01:20 PM

I always use compressed air before applying a tiny amount of solvent. You can buy special lint-free papers to clean the lens with at camera stores. Regular paper, even tissue, can scratch (supposedly) the lens and will leave tiny fibers everywhere. Then you gently polish the lens until all the residue from the solvent is gone. I have to disagree Frank. I don't think it's a good idea to blow on the lens. You won't get rid of all the grit, and moisture from your breath will get on the lens, effectively helping dust to stick. You have to get all the abrasive material off before you can clean with solvent or you will grind the grit into the surface. I think polishing with solvent is something that should be done carefully and rarely. Most of the time I just use the compressed air. This is usually enough unless the lens is smudged. I don't believe in leaving UV filters on all the time either, as they create a huge problem with flare.

Guest March 20th, 2004 04:16 PM

marco,
i have some tissue paper looking stuff made by canon that came in a lens cleaning kit. i have never dared put it on my lens b/c it looks abrasive (like tissue paper) - is that what your talking about? is it safe?

i disagree w/ blowing on the lens too... i dont know that could just be an old superstition left over from my days of blowing on the nintendo cartridges!

Frank Granovski March 20th, 2004 04:48 PM

I never let my camera lenses get that dirty, thanks to the UV and lens hood. So it's just dust that I'm blowing off, and usually off the filter and not off the camera lens. Furthermore, all my cams came with a lens cleaning cloth. :-))

Dylan Couper March 20th, 2004 06:40 PM

Any dust I just blow off from a distance (no spit).
ANy streaks or fine dust I use a lens cloth.

Marco Leavitt March 20th, 2004 07:01 PM

Jerry,
If that kit was made by Canon I'm sure the paper is fine. I use papers made by Peca Products. I would only use them with a tiny drop of solvent.

Mike Rehmus March 20th, 2004 09:24 PM

I was taught by an old pro that the way to use lens-cleaning papers is as follows:

Roll a single sheet into a loose tube. Tear the tube in half. Use the torn end, moistened with lens cleaning solution to rub the lens surface in a circular motion. No heavy pressure. Repeated light cleaning cycles are much less injurious than one with heavy pressure.

This is really important if the front surface of the lens is plastic as some of the really inexpensive cameras sport.

The lens cleaning paper is made very carefully so it doesn't include hard bits that normal paper including tissue can have. A really small rock won't hurt your nose but will destroy your day if you rub it on a lens.

Rob Belics March 21st, 2004 09:06 AM

What Mike suggests is correct. However, the concern is any grit that might already be on the lens and having the tissue swirl that grit around scratching the lens.

To avoid this, use an air bulb and/or brush to lightly brush the lens first. Then, if necessary, the tissue with either lens cleaner or, as Frank mentioned, hot breath.

The hot breath idea is not to 'blow' on the lens but open your mouth wide and let that steamy breath from you hot blooded guys fog up the lens. Then, before it evaporates, gently wipe with a lens tissue. This method is used by many photographers.

If you use lens cleaner, do not apply it directly to the lens since it may seep inside where it could dry and leave a spot.

David Hurdon March 21st, 2004 10:08 AM

One of the overlooked tools for keeping your lens clean is a lens pen. The end that looks like a suction cup does a good job, in conjunction with a blower, provided the lens isn't really dirty. I recently asked about LCD cleaning tissues (Hoodman) in our premiere camera store, was told to use the lens pen and was amazed at how spotless the screen was after a gentle application.

David Hurdon