GL1 or TRV900 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 12th, 2002, 09:12 PM   #16
Wrangler

This would make a great topic unto it's own. Should we start a new thread before we get chastised for ruining this one? :)
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2002, 10:18 AM   #17
Air China Pilot

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : Well, Mouse7316 has expressed his desire to produce movies. If he is going into a course, as Docunomus says, that is strictly film appreciation, then it really isn't going to help him much if at all.

I didn't mean to say that there isn't a place for film appreciation, that would be foolish. My point is that if you go into a program like that hoping to come out with a working knowledge of how to produce a movie, you are going to be sorely dissapointed and will have wasted a lot of time and money. -->>>

I think this may be a case of not reading the course literature ahead of time before signing up.
Keith Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2002, 10:43 AM   #18
New Boot

Of couse taking a course in Film History or Film Theory will not teach someone the technical side of filmmaking...I hope noone believes that it would. I took a course last year called Montage Aesthetic...thinking that it would be a course teaching students the fundamentals of editing, many production students took the course...it turns out that it is a course that examines the subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, ability of telling a story and revealing character motivation and psychology through the use of cutting...now, I do believe that this course could be extremely insightful for future editors. However, anyone thinking that they would learn how to edit a movie, how to use linear or non-linear equipment, etc...was mistaken.
Dave Richler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2002, 04:25 PM   #19
Wrangler

And thus, if our friend Mouse7316 wants to learn about making movies, he should take production, not History or Theory, which was my point.

I bet he isn't even reading this. :)
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2002, 04:36 PM   #20
Air China Pilot

Yes, just to reiterate. Production for production. Theory for theory.
Keith Loh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion